SASC Biology Instructor
SASC Biology Instructor will teach core curriculum and supplemental courses in biology; serve as an Academic Coordinator to a caseload of SASC students; supervise a cohort of undergraduate STEM Instructional Assistants; and develop curriculum to support SASC students preparing for students in health fields. This is a 9-month academic year position beginning August, 2021.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
The Student Academic Success Center (SASC) delivers programming designed to guide and support students from all backgrounds to perform successfully at the university level, especially those from communities historically under-served in higher education. SASC programming includes credit-bearing courses, supplemental instruction, academic guidance, and co-curricular student development activities. The SASC STEM Program supports student success in classes, majors, and professional fields rooted in science, engineering, and technology. In addition, the program works closely with SASC support programs to develop extra-curricular offerings to support pre-health students as well as those working to transfer from the Program in Exploratory Studies to the Leeds School of Business or the College of Engineering and Applied Science.What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Teach core curriculum and supplemental courses in biology (60%).
- Serve as an Academic Coordinator to a caseload of SASC students (15%).
- Supervise a cohort of undergraduate STEM Instructional Assistants (15%).
- Develop curriculum to support SASC students preparing for students in health fields (10%).
This is a full-time, 9-month academic year appointment beginning August, 2021.What We Can Offer
We can offer an academic year salary of $52,000.BenefitsThe University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.What We Require
- Master’s Degree in biology or a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience teaching biology at the college or secondary level.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting students from under-served communities.
- PhD in biology or a related field.
- Graduate of a SASC program (McNair, McNeill, TRiO Student Support Services, WAMS/ First Nations) or a similar student support program.
- Experience teaching or advising students from under-resourced urban and/or rural public schools.
- Experience advising students who are pre-health and/or pre-engineering.
- Supervisory experience.
- Involvement in STEM curricular reform.
To apply, please submit the following materials listed below in PDF format:
- Cover Letter.
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy.
- List of References, minimum of three individuals who may be contacted, upon review of your application, to submit written letters of reference upon request.
Review of applications will begin as they are received, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received by March 12, 2021 will receive full consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name: Julia WillisPosting Contact Email: [email protected]