Payroll Manager - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Mar 8, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Position ID:: 128834
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports To: Associate Vice President for Human Resources
Supervises: Payroll and Student Employment Coordinator
Summary of Position:
The Payroll Manager is responsible for the management and integrity of the faculty/staff and student payroll systems. This includes preparing semi-monthly payroll functions and quarterly and year-end payroll and tax reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).The Payroll Manager should be a subject matter expert with experience with faculty as well as staff payroll. The position supervises the Payroll and Student Employment Coordinator.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees all pay cycles for semi-monthly payroll processing; runs payroll on SCT HR Banner system.
- Reports and reviews benefits reports running off payroll processing; works with Benefits Manager on ensuring accuracy of benefit deduction, deferral and reporting.
- Works with HR director and Career Services staff for HR paperwork and inquiries. Provides ongoing analysis and reports from various data sources for the purpose of management review and decision making.
- Responds to auditing and regulatory inquiries.
- Works with systems support staff on necessary modifications and maintenance of computer systems supporting payroll information; coordinates payroll functions with HR, Finance and Benefits functions and operations.
- Serves as a resource to individuals and departments; assists with identification and resolution of payroll problems.
- Manages Payroll Department budget.
- Serves as liaison with auditors, outside agencies and organizations.
- Participates as a senior member of the Employee Services team supporting overall employee services policies, procedures, projects, and operations.
- Responsible for (SAS or correct) testing and compliance, including implementation of new processes and reporting procedures as necessary.
- Assures payroll deadlines and reporting requirements are met; implements and monitors practices and procedures to comply with internal control procedures.
- Manages processing and verification of garnishment orders from various federal, state, and local agencies.
- Handles all earnings and tax inquiries from the IRS, Franchise Tax Board, SSA, EDD and Family Support Bureaus; similarly supports payroll-related reporting to grant agencies.
- Processes and monitors tax treaties for international faculty and staff.
- Performs audits and insures all quarterly payroll and annual W2 information are accurate and submitted on a timely basis.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains knowledge of federal, state, and local legal requirements; ensures compliance; advises management of needed actions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
- Performs pre-payroll audits providing guidance, adjustments, corrections, or requests for information as necessary.
- Performs post-payroll audits and payroll system output.
- Handles escalations, complex, or non-routine situations for all levels of employees and administration, providing root cause analysis and corrective action.
- Prepares payroll related journal entries and account reconciliation; manages banking relationships, and oversees all payroll transmittals to banking institutions and government agencies.
- Works with the Employee Services team on projects and initiatives.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Relational database technology and creates ad-hoc reports to troubleshoot discrepancies and issues.
- Applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Payroll system to achieve alignment with Benefits and HR to ensure effective accounting support.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others;
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action;
- Meet schedules and timelines;
- Maintain a high level of oral and written communication within a diverse, multicultural employee and managerial population;
- Prepare reports and effectively present information, both orally and in writing;
- Respond in a prompt and knowledgeable manner to common Payroll inquiries from all levels of the campus community.
Education and Training:
- 10 years of related professional experience in payroll.
- Certified Payroll Professional desirable.
- Significant experience with computerized payroll applications; SCT HR Banner database experience highly preferred.
- Established competency reconciling payroll and general ledgers. Previous experience preparing W-2's, quarterly and annual payroll tax returns.
- Considerable knowledge of payroll and tax regulations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in higher education, preferred
- Bachelors' degree in Finance or related field
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Office environment with periodic requirements to sit, stand, walk, kneel, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Hear and speak to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- While performing this job, noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.