Administrative Associate, Department of Surgery (Multiple Positions)
SurgeryDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Department of Surgery is seeking a skilled Administrative Associate who continuously looks for new ways to lend support and make improvements to benefit the Surgical Oncology Division. This position requires an individual who can think on his or her feet. Every day, new situations arise in the office requiring quick decisions and immediate action. We need someone who can stretch their administrative capabilities beyond the job description to tackle the complexities of a busy department. The ideal candidate understands there is an art to managing multiple calendars and providing administrative support to surgeons. This individual ensures their respective leaders are never late for surgery or meetings, has blocked time to complete priority work, and finds creative ways to communicate with their busy leaders. If you can do more than just track meetings and manage multiple requests from different sources, you will be the perfect addition to our team. We need someone that can display grace under pressure and represent the Department of Surgery in the best light. The incumbent for the Surgical Oncology Division must be highly motivated, energetic, a self-starter, an excellent team player, and able to work accurately with frequent interruptions.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage daily calendar for section faculty; prioritize and arrange meetings and appointments for assigned faculty.
- Arrange faculty travel, including travel authorization, flight itinerary, lodging, meeting agenda; collect and submit receipts for reimbursement according to UA and Banner University Medicine policy.
- Serve as liaison to division chiefs, faculty, staff, residents, students, outside agencies and the public concerning administrative offices, program concerns, speaking engagements, and outreach development.
- Coordinate with Human Resources regarding onboarding of new faculty and staff into the Surgical Oncology Division.
- This may include relocation services, UA moving guidelines and expense reimbursement policy, coordinating the purchase of office equipment, and familiarizing new faculty members with UA resources.
- Coordinate weekly/monthly/ad hoc meetings, including room reservations, catering, special equipment requests and the gathering and distribution of case submissions to attending faculty and support staff.
- Coordinate physician’s availability for assigned call schedules; create and distribute call schedules to physicians, hospital staff and residents; enter call schedule into Qgenda.
- Maintain official records, including: credentialing, visas and licensing and memberships for assigned section faculty.
- Assist faculty with formatting of Curriculum Vitae for Promotion and Tenure packets and transfer of information to UA Vitae.
- Assist in supporting/completing academic assignments, i.e. abstract and manuscript editing, references and submissions.
- Conduct literature and web searches relevant to specific project requirements.
- Transcribe and compose letters and correspondence from rough draft, corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation errors; edits wording without changing intended message.
- Coordinate with UArizona physicians, Banner – University physician assistants and nurse coordinators to ensure patient care flow in scheduling and documentation, including requests for and maintenance of patient records, referrals, procedures and films.
- Process incoming phone calls, faxes and e-mail from patients, physicians, pharmacists, home health agencies, health insurance caseworkers, etc.
- Organize and facilitate schedules for clinic and OR usage for the university campus, south campus, and cancer center north locations.
- Keep informed of, interpret, and apply pertinent rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by University and external agencies. Provide updates to staff and/or faculty regarding changes to UA policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with Division administrative staff to ensure appropriate cross-coverage.
- Attend training and development workshops as necessary.
- Maintain office equipment and orders office supplies as needed.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
*Knowledge of University of Arizona processes and procedures.*Knowledge of UAccess.*High degree of flexibility.*Able to work in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines and priorities.*Experience with account oversight or managing financial reports is beneficial in this role*Knowledge of standard office policies and procedures.*Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.*Impeccable skill set in grammar, writing and editing.*Proficient in developing and maintaining good working relationships.*Ability to interact professionally and effectively with faculty, medical students, residents, administration and the public.*Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.*Ability to problem solve and make decisions.FLSA:
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Organizational AdministrationBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
4Career Stream and Level:
Administrative SupportJob Function:
Organizational AdministrationType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
2Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Jessica HolmgrenHR [email protected]Open Date:
3/9/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.