Lead Specialist, Contracting (Non-Capital Construction)
University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Lead Specialist, Contracting (Non-Capital Construction) to join Department of Operations and Planning. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).BENEFITS:UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. PRIMARY DUTIES:• Lead the construction and facilities procurement staff, including the supervision of daily work, performance standards, and schedules in construction and facilities procurement and contract management activities of a complex nature.
• Coordinate building project contract administration and ensures that all procurements are compliant with the related policies, laws and regulations.
• Coordinate the preparation of all construction procurements for specific building projects
• With input from leadership, resolve issues pertaining to all aspects of the construction and facilities procurement function such as bid meetings, specifications, contract terms, delivery issues, tax and freight charges and similar issues for each assigned project.
• Perform construction and facilities procurement and contract management activities of the complex nature for all aspects of construction and facilities procurement transactions. Procurement may specialize in unique situations with complex specifications.
• Coordinate work of internal staff to work with project managers to draft specifications and vendor qualification criteria for bids and proposals upon researching the end user’s needs to ensure proper procurement, maximized competition, and proper form and function.
• Lead staff efforts to liaise between project managers and vendor community, supplying end users with information on sources, discounts, pricing and delivery provisions.
• Evaluate bid and proposal responses to contract awards and debrief unsuccessful vendors.
• Maintain existing and develops new sources for construction and contractor supplies and services.
• Prepare construction procurements for specific building projects.
• Resolve any differences on critical points and specific contractual provisions.
• Performs contract administration on all contracts awarded.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree.
- Experience: Four (4) years procurement, construction, or project management experience, including at least one two (2) year of construction/construction procurement experience.
- Supervisory Experience: N/A
- Certification/Licensure: N/A
- Other: Financial disclosure reporting required by State of Maryland Ethics Committee.
- Substitution of equivalent years of relevant experience in the field of construction, construction procurement, may be made in place of Bachelor's Degree.
- Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Needs to see a personal fit with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror UMB’ core values: Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, Leadership, Communication, & Work/Life Balance.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: Office of Operations & Planning
Job Posting: Mar 9, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing