Laboratory Research Assistant
The Department of Microbial Pathogenesis at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry (UMSOD) has an opening for a Research Assistant, Laboratory. The primary function of the position is to carry out a NIH-funded project on the development of therapeutic antibodies against gastrointestinal infectious and inflammatory diseases. The successful candidate will be expected to carry out lab techniques such as molecular cloning, cell culture, protein purification, and animal studies. The University of Maryland, Baltimore offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This is a contractual position that offers a generous leave package of 10 vacation days, 3 personal days, 8 holidays, and 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB. Primary duties:1. Performs routine biological procedures such as bacterial and cell culture, molecular cloning, recombinant protein production and purification, phage-display, antibody and aptamer screening and identification, ELISA, gel electrophoresis, restriction digest, Western blotting, RNA and DNA isolation, microarray analysis, confocal microscopy, PCR, animal models of infection, tissue separation and immunoflourescent staining.
2. Participate laboratory upkeep and preparation of chemical solutions, media, reagents, stains, and buffers.
3. Assists with sterile procedures.
4. Collects, prepares, and processes specimens.
5. Assists in conducting research on current scientific literature using computerized applications.
6. Collects, records, and enters research data.
7. Performs general housekeeping of laboratory and operation of laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, spectrometers, and liquid chromatographs.
8. Maintains plasmids, cell lines and reagents, chemicals and equipment inventory.
9. Aids in writing and preparing manuscripts, abstracts, grants, figures, and presentations.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
BS in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or cell biology.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Dentistry - Microbial Pathogenesis
Job Posting: Apr 14, 2021
Unposting Date: Apr 28, 2021, 10:59:00 PM