Associate/Assistant Fermentation and Distillation Sciences
Research and Extension Associate/Assistant Fermentation and Distillation Sciences
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Research and Extension Associate/Assistant Position in Fermentation and Distillation Sciences in the Kentucky State University (KSU) Land Grant Program (LGP) and The College of Agriculture, Community and the Sciences (ACS) will serve as a supporting person for the research programs in the Certificate Programs in Fermentation and Distillation Science and Horticulture research programs.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Research and Extension Associate/Assistant Position in Fermentation and Distillation Sciences in the KSU-LGP and College of ACS will serve as a support person for the research and the Certificate Programs in Fermentation and Distillation Science and Horticulture. Research and Extension duties include managing lab aspects involved in production of beer, spirits, and value added fermented foods, as well as fruit and vegetable processing, developing HACCP and SOP plans. Assisting on research leading to fermented foods and beverages, fruit and vegetable processing workshops, and assisting stakeholders on Research and Extension questions related to Safe preparation and handling of Fermented Foods, fruit and vegetable processing. Assisting in the teaching of the certificate Programs in Fermentation and Distillation Science and Horticulture research program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Managing lab aspects involved in production of beer, spirits, and value added fermented foods.
2. Assist in the developing a laboratory building for production of beer, spirits, and value added fermented foods.
3. Develop HACCP and SOP plans, and approved recipes for use in value added fermented foods utilizing the mobile kitchen.
4. Work with local health department and state officials to ensure the unit is properly permitted and compliant with regulations.
5. Assist stakeholders with steps required for product development and sales, including food safety trainings, recipe development and approval, and label approval.
6. Lead workshops on the production of beer, spirits, and value added fermented foods for small entrepreneurs and farmers.
7. Develop and make presentations on production of beer, spirits, and value added fermented foods for stakeholders.
8. Develop value added fermented foods, fruit and vegetable fruit and vegetable processing and marketing guides for distribution to stakeholders.
9. Work with stakeholders on Extension related questions through answering emails, phone calls, and letters, as well as occasional site visits to grower’s sites.
10. Other related duties as required.
OTHER DUTIES: (ex: tasks that may be necessary, but are not the main reason(s) the job was created)
The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: B.Sc or M.Sc. in Food Science, agriculture, horticulture, or similar area. Fermentation or distillation experience, degree, or certificate in the area preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Fermentation or distillation experience, degree, or certificate in the area preferred.
• Knowledge of food safety and processing regulations.
• Knowledge of experimental design.
• Ability to obtain food managers certification.
• Effective oral and writing skills.
• Computer literacy.
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team effort is required.
• Initiative, resourcefulness, punctuality, and ability to work independently are essential.
• Ability to lift 50 lb or more.
• Ability to drive and navigate truck with 24 foot trailer.
• Travel and overnight stays may be necessary.
• Work involves some exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dust, water, smoke, and/or unpleasant odors.
• This job involves travel. The position will have statewide responsibilities.