Financial Aid Advisor, Intermediate - Personalized Learning
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor, Intermediate - Personalized Learning
Location: Financial Aid
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605269
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
- Northern Arizona University is seeking a Financial Aid Advisor, Intermediate for the Personalized Learning (PL) program in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid who is committed to the Enrollment Management values of student service, integrity, valuing human difference, engagement, sustainability, responsibility and excellence.
- This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of the organization. It is expected that the employee demonstrates behavior consistent with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid office core values (Service, Respectful Communication, Advocacy, Accountability and Integrity) and supports the Division of Enrollment Management strategic plan.
- Work beyond normal hours and non-standard work hours may also be required.
- This position reports to the Manager, Financial Aid of Personalized Learning
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly activities including running and working reports of the Personalized Learning program to comply with non-term federal regulations.
- Assist in processing Return of Title IV calculations, adjust aid as necessary and monitor for re-enrollment/re-instatements.
- Serve as an expert in the rules and regulations as they relate to non-term competency-based programs.
- Update internal student information systems and external federal databases to reflect student data as it relates to their awards.
- Serve as liaison to Online and Community Campuses advisors to award students and advise on financial aid eligiblity and timelines.
- Assist in student communications via e-mail, tickets and phone.
- Work with Communications Team to update PL communications and website copy.
- Collect and/or analyze financial data on students to determine aid eligibility and make awards within federal, state, and/or institutional guidelines.
- Serve as a resource to staff, students, and others to provide technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers to questions, and referrals to appropriate departments or person when unable to resolve.
- Counsel and advise students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, indebtedness, money management and financial planning. Individualize information to the particular needs and situation of the student.
- Assist PL Manager to prepare financial statements and records on program activities, progress, status, or other special reports for management or outside agencies.
- Cross-train with Operations area to process transmissions, loan certifications, document imaging, reconciliation, verification, and regular reports.
- Interact and maintain excellent working relationship with faculty, staff, students, and outside/community agencies in facilitating Student Financial Aid program objectives.
- Work independently to research federal regulations and exhaust all resources available before referring to administration for assistance.
- Assist with Orientation, Discover NAU, and other recruitment activities.
- Serve on University committees as assigned.
- May require working and traveling nights and weekends.
- Develop and foster a collaborative work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree AND minimum of two years of administrative/coordinative experience, OR
- Associates degree AND minimum of four years of administrative/coordinative experience, OR
- Six years of administrative/coordinative experience.
- Proficient in use of PeopleSoft Student Administration software, as well as working knowledge of Salesforce case management and OnBase document imaging.
- Experience working in a financial aid office and administering federal, state, and institutional aid.
- Strong team orientation.
- Knowledge of higher education issues, especially non-standard term program issues.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in working with students and individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to analyze problems and make well-reasoned sound decisions.
- Skill in planning, organizing and giving direction to meet desired office goals and objectives.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Extensive customer service experience.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $38,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
March 17, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.