Coordinator, Learning Support Services
SALT Ctr Learning DisabilitiesDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The SALT Center is a nationally recognized program that provides a wide range of academic supports to more than 650 undergraduates with learning challenges at the University of Arizona, relying primarily on a fee-for-service revenue model. Under the direction of the Assistant Director for Learning Support Services, this position designs, implements, and coordinates many operations within Learning Support Services and provides supervision and technical assistance to student employees. This position also manages the Reading & Writing Lab environment and is responsible for scheduling and training the tutors in that lab.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
- Assists with the administration of Learning Support Services. Administrative duties include recruiting, hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of tutors.
- Schedules, supervises and evaluates the Reading & Writing Lab and content tutoring environments.
- Ensures tutors are progressing through College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) and departmental training appropriately.
- Observes student/tutor appointments for quality assurance and CRLA requirements.
- Coordinates the administration and logistics of tutor training and adjusts/creates content for the d2l training site.
- Manages d2l grade book to reflect completion of tutor training.
- Develops training and educational materials to increase tutors’ understanding of learning and attention challenges and knowledge of effective tutoring strategies.
- Coordinates a plan for tutoring to meet needs of specific students referred by SALT Student Support Specialists.
- Functions as a SALT Center staff resource on skill-based learning issues and instructional strategies in the content areas and for college-level writing.
- Provides problem-solving assistance for students, tutors, and professional staff using a solutions-based approach and interprets departmental policy.
- Assists with TutorTrac database maintenance.
- Establishes training protocol for staff, students, and tutors.
- Makes recommendations to the Assistant Director for Learning Support Services concerning the improvement of tutoring programs.
- Serves as a technical and methods expert for tutors’ special needs.
- Collaborates with SALT Center Student Services on programs and projects for the Learning Support and Student Support teams.
- Supports the SALT Center through participation in a variety of department activities, assignments, and committee work.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of tutoring techniques.
- Knowledge of tutor training curriculum design and implementation
- Knowledge of the principles of supervision.
- Experience in training multimodal learning, including use of visual strategies and educational technology.
- Knowledge of FERPA, TutorTrac, and related program management and database software.
- Knowledge of CRLA training principles and strategies.
- Experience working with individuals with learning and attention challenges
- Skill in organizing work of self and others.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, and high degree of openness to new approaches and new ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional-level experience required, with a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience.
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Student ServicesBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
6Career Stream and Level:
Student SupportJob Function:
Student ServicesType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Emily Veres; 621-0132; [email protected]Open Date:
3/4/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.