The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute for Genome Sciences (IGS) is currently recruiting for a Senior Accountant.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Manages department financial travel transactions/operations.
- Coordinate all travel requests from IGS personnel and non-University speakers and collaborators. Process travel requests utilizing UMB electronic travel system.
- Review travel expense statements for completeness and conformity with campus policies. Initial approver of supporting documentation in UMB electronic travel system.
- Institute representative and participant in campus travel group.
- Administers, reconciles and maintains assigned accounts for subset of IGS PI’s to verify accuracy of transactions and uniform application of financial policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Receive, analyze, adjust and prepare financial ledgers, schedules, work papers, shared spreadsheets and summaries along with any assigned databases (Quantum & Priority) utilized for financial reporting. Prepare, file, and summarize reports and state tax filings for distribution.
- Update and maintain financial accounting system with new projects, project changes
- Work with PI’s to establish monthly reporting meetings and distribute monthly financial reports prior to each meeting. Work with PI’s on a daily basis to manage their financial activity on their accounts.
- Define and monitor critical path activities, resolve issues and escalate complex matters as needed to appropriate contact. Examine and ensure integrity/reliability of the financial accounting system. Work with staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial systems and department records., providing statistical information to isolate these areas and recommend new procedures to prevent deviations or undesirable accounting trends.
- Other Financial Duties:
- Reconcile all Bioresco transactions to department shadow system
- Assist other finance staff with review and execution of procurement requests for purchases over $4999.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (Master’s degree and/or additional certification is preferred and can be used to substitute for relevant experience).
Experience: Three (3) years of accounting related experience using general acceptable accounting principles.
Other: Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Institute of Genome Sciences
Job Posting: Mar 3, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 7, 2021, 10:59:00 PM