Laboratory Research Technician
University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Laboratory Research Technician to join Department of Surgery. Under direct supervision, performs routine bioanalytical or chemical tests according to standardized processes and performs other laboratory activities and maintenance, such as ensuring proper functioning of equipment and ordering supplies. **This is a FULL-TIME, CONTRACTUAL position****This position is not elgible for sponsoring of work visas** BENEFITS for Contractual Employee:UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Performs routine procedures such as DNA extractions, PCR, gel electrophoresis, tissue sectioning, immunohistochemistry, bacterial culture, plasmid extraction and other molecular biology techniques. Prepares chemical solutions, media, reagents, stains, and buffers. Performs clinical processes such as aseptic cell or tissue cultures, and maintenance of cell lines. Collects, labels, and processes tissue and blood specimens from operation room for pathologic analysis or other biological analysis. Assists in conducting research on current scientific literature using computerized applications. Collects, records, and enters research data. Performs wipe tests, general housekeeping of laboratory, and operation of laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, spectrometers. Maintains chemicals and equipment function/inventory, and orders supplies. Reviews, writes and edits reports such as evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals, etc. to provide recommendations, conclusions, and other data. May perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation, and ordering supplies. Performs other duties as requested.
EDUCATION: Must have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of biology. Master’s degree preferred.OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Basic understanding and utilization of scientific and technical language and symbols.
- To communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to use computers and related software applications; to lift, transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods; to wear and work in personal protective equipment. Ability to perform research in a laboratory setting working with independence for all routine procedures and preparation of technical procedures and reports.
- Thorough knowledge of the measurement instruments and bench testing procedures. Hands-on” experience with instruments and devices, and experimental skills would be valuable.
- Ability to work as a team member.
Job: Reg or CII Non-Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Surgery
Job Posting: Apr 6, 2021
Unposting Date: Apr 20, 2021, 10:59:00 PM