Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Feb 22, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
Position ID:: 128447
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school campus or other assigned college facility; maintain buildings and surrounding areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform general custodial tasks in a specific work area including trash removal, cleaning chalk boards, dry/wet mopping, strip/wax floors etc.
- Operate custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber
- Move furniture, file cabinets, desks, etc., as required.
- Set up furniture, stages, mats, etc., as required for special events.
- Clean and disinfect drinking fountains and restroom facilities including sinks, toilets and urinals; replenish dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and other items; clean mirrors, tile and windows.
- Assist and work with routine tasks as directed by supervision such as moving, plumbing, and basic repair.
- Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report need for maintenance repairs; respond to emergency custodial requests as needed.
- Perform snow removal and perform special work assignments or clean ups as directed.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- High school education or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is required.
- One year of custodial experience or similar experience is necessary.
- Familiarity with methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work is required.
Physical Working Conditions:
Position will require employees to have
the ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of time (Often - 75% - 100%).
the ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75% to 100%)
the ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull, and reach in all directions (Often - 75% - 100%)
the ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Often 75% - 100%)
the ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. (Often 75% - 100%)
the ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning equipment. (Occasional 50% to 75%)
the ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders. (Seldom - 0% - 25%)
Some shifts will require the use of radio communication. Employees on these shifts, using these devices, will be required to have the ability to hear and exchange information clearly.
Job duties may be performed in hot, dusty, dirty environments. Employees may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
General supervision is received from the Manager of Housekeeping. Functional supervision is received from the Housekeeping Supervisor.
Hours: Wednesday - Friday 5:30 pm - 2:00 am; Saturday and Sunday 12:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Salary: $36,456 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.