Staff MeteorologistTracking Code721-674 Job Description
The Department of Geography and Meteorology at Valparaiso University seeks applicants for the position of Staff Meteorologist. This is a full-time, staff scientist (non-faculty) position subject to annual professional reviews. We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic scientist with an M.S. in meteorology/atmospheric science. Candidates should possess an outgoing personality with excellent interpersonal skills and a desire to work closely with undergraduate meteorology students.
The department, located in Kallay-Christopher Hall, is home to ~100 undergraduate meteorology majors and maintains a Unix-based computer network, a dual-polarization Doppler radar, multiple radiosonde systems, instrumented meteorological towers, and a suite of meteorological instrumentation. More information can be found at www.valpo.edu/geography-meteorology.
- Serve as a local system administrator
- Maintain software package applications
- Service and monitor meteorological instrumentation and data streams
- Work with vendor to ensure smooth flow of radar data
- Maintain departmental and data-related web pages
- Address student and faculty data resource requests
- Upgrade and service local school mesonet
- Instruct students in use of meteorological software
- Assist with the convective field study courses
- Coordinate department internships
- Collaborate with students and faculty on research projects
- Engage in science outreach to community groups and schools
- Other duties as assigned by the Department Chair
Knowledge and Skills:
- Fundamental knowledge of operational meteorology
- Ability to carry out basic troubleshooting
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Proficient Unix computing skills with strong Python skills
- Master of Science degree in Meteorology/Atmospheric Science or a Bachelor of Science with at least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with managing various computing environments
- Experience working with instrumentation and data feeds
- Experience working in a group/team environment
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Prof. Teresa Bals-Elsholz
Chair, Department of Geography and Meteorology
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Review of applications will begin April 6, 2021 until the position is filled.
Job Location Valparaiso, Indiana, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular