Visiting Assistant Professor
Job no: 495489
Work type: Faculty
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Student Services
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Department of Economics at Boise State University invites applications for a visiting assistant/associate professor position starting Fall 2021. The position duration is one academic year, with the possibility of extension for an additional year.Supports the University’s mission of providing student-centered, quality education and is committed to the success of our students and the university. This involves teaching effectiveness, professional development, research and scholarly/creative activities, institutional service, professional and community service, student advising and involvement, and supervisory responsibilities as assigned.L Industrial OrganizationM2 Business EconomicsG00 General Financial EconomicsE2 Consumption, Saving, Production, InvestmentLevel Scope:
A visiting faculty member is an individual who is visiting the University for the purpose of collaboration, for advanced study in their field of expertise, or to augment the capabilities of the University through an appointment not covered by other faculty categories. Members of the visiting faculty are not eligible for tenure, may or may not have responsibilities for teaching and research or creative activity, and may serve on a wide range of academic or governance committees subject to policies of the department, the college, and the University. Appointments made to the visiting faculty cannot exceed one year.Essential Functions:
The essential duties and responsibilities of a visiting faculty member are assigned by the academic Department Chair or equivalent administrator. They may include:
Supports the University’s mission of providing student-centered, quality education. Committed to the success of our students and the university. Committed to student learning, retention, persistence, and completion.
- Teach assigned courses in accordance with the course syllabi and a schedule of classes that may include day, evening, weekend, and distance classes offered at any approved instructional site.
- Engage in development of new and creative instructional materials, including new courses and programs of studies.
- Assist in keeping the curriculum of the program(s) current.
- Maintain and improve competence in subjects being taught.
- Advise students and ensure the successful completion of their degree program.
- Post and hold office hours in a physical and electronic format (to include virtual office hours) as appropriate.
- Assist with the departmental assessment efforts and plan.
- Assist with student recruitment, particularly when low student enrollment is an issue in the program.
- Direct culminating activities for graduate students
Scholarly, creative, or research activities:
If assigned, a visiting faculty must demonstrate a commitment to their discipline through scholarly and creative activities (these activities may fall within Boyer’s four types of scholarship: (1) discovering knowledge, (2) integrating knowledge, (3) applying knowledge, and (4) scholarship of teaching).
- Conduct research and/or produce scholarly or creative work in accord with the norms in their discipline.
- Share that work through professionally recognized publication for the type of scholarship.
- Present that work through professionally recognized forms in professionally recognized venues for the type of scholarship.
If expected, a visiting faculty member participates in activities relating to university programs, courses, governance, etc., or community activities which impact on, or are impacted by, the University and which contribute to the growth and development of students, the university and the community. Faculty must demonstrate a commitment to serving Boise State University, his/her profession, and the community.
- Participate actively in professional organizations and perform professional functions such as serving on committees and in leadership roles; as chair, panelist, and discussant at conferences; on editorial boards; refereeing manuscripts and grant applications; and serving on panels for funding agencies.
- Meet administrative deadlines set by the University for carrying out service responsibilities and submitting required employee materials.
- Use technology as directed by the University to carry out service responsibilities and receive and submit employee information.
Responsibilities will include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in one or more fields of specialty (e.g. industrial organization, financial economics, or macroeconomics), time-series econometrics.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
In accordance with discipline and departmental standards and expectations
- Demonstrated advanced level of oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet required attendance and submission deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage effective, friendly, and civil working relationships with staff, faculty, students, alumni, guests, and others at the university.
- Demonstrated problem solving and abstract thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality work while working independently.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
A doctorate in Economics by the time of appointment is requiredThe successful applicant is expected to have expertise in one or more of the following fields: empirical industrial organization, business economics, financial economics, and/or macroeconomics. A proven ability to teach undergraduates is essential. The ability to teach time series econometrics is required.The successful candidate is required to be in the Scholarly Academic status according to AACSB accreditation requirements listed here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/13avGDt4WRxoHihex5H02TJtE3wYxNY2C/viewPreferred Qualifications:
The ability to teach a graduate MBA course in Business Economics is desirable. The ability to work across disciplines and secure external funding is highly desirable. Willingness to be involved with graduate students in the role of thesis advisor is also desirable.Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
To be considered for an interview, please submit
1) a letter of application (preferably including a brief statement of research interests, teaching philosophy, and experience); 2) curriculum vitae; 3) three letters of reference; 4) job market paper; 5) official graduate transcripts, and 6) evidence of teaching effectiveness. Screening interviews will be conducted online via teleconferencing.
Online submission of all materials is required by all applicants. All materials must be received by March 22, 2021.
For more information please contact LaDawn Barrera at [email protected].
**Please note: there are 3 slots available of unlimited size to upload application documents. One reserved for the resume, one for the cover letter and the remaining slot for supplemental documents requested. Please condense your files as necessary.
Advertised: March 03, 2021
Applications close: March 22, 2021