The web writer/editor will help improve Case Western Reserve’s online presence by working with individuals and units from across the university to craft clear, concise and effective web communications – especially websites, news and feature articles, and emails – tailored to specific audiences. The web writer/editor will provide advice and insight on ways to make their digital communications more compelling, accessible and understandable to the audience that office, department or unit seeks to reach.
This individual will be responsible for producing accurate, compelling text, including conducting research, interviews and fact-checking as necessary. He or she will develop text that reflects the university’s voice and tone and ensure all content conforms to web writing best practices, with a focus on search engine optimization.
- Work with individuals and units to revise or create new content for websites or email campaigns that achieves the goals of the units and best represents Case Western Reserve as a leading research institution. Incorporate web writing best practices, creative solutions, and interesting and appropriate storytelling approaches to each project to effectively communicate to target audiences. Plan, coordinate and execute good search Engine optimization (SEO) strategies. Conduct SEO and keyword research for web projects, using this knowledge to craft improved communications. Track important SEO metrics including organic traffic, conversion rates and time spent on page. Monitor, and report changes in traffic, trends, links, leads, and keyword rankings. Ensure SEO is a key lever for traffic growth. Provide SEO analysis and recommendations in coordination with elements and structure of websites and web pages. Measure the effectiveness of strategies by reporting from data sources. (50%)
- Consult with the University Marketing and Communications team as well as faculty, staff and students to help identify the appropriate audience, content and channels required for written communications. Promote the university by recognizing and writing about its unique and/or striking aspects: its people, programs, achievements, initiatives, and more. Engage with faculty, staff and students across the university to identify promising subjects for stories, whether profiles or features, trend pieces or other types of articles. Identify and develop stories that help promote the university’s sense of community, whether they involve a unique accomplishment (as part of their work or their off time), a rallying effort for others, or other activities that intrigue, amuse or inspire. (30%)
- Work well in a complex team environment. Participate in brainstorming and concepting activities to ensure that projects meet determined objectives are appropriate for the audience and reflect positively on the university brand. (10%)
- Review analytics and site performance to better understand web trends and audience interests. Adjust schedules and content accordingly, considering topics and article formats. Provide reports regarding site performance using Google Analytics and/or other established measurement systems. Apply data insights to recommend steps to improve digital performance. (10%)
- Identify new and emerging SEO opportunities, best practices, and industry updates and stay current with new tools and practices. (>1%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (<1%)
Department: Daily contact with UMC team members to complete projects.
University: Regular contact with faculty, staff and students.
External: Occasional communication with external contacts.
Students: Regular contact with students.
No direct supervisory responsibility.
Experience: At least three to five years of successful marketing communications writing and editing across a variety of communication vehicles.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or related field required.
- Proven abilities in generating marketing and communications copy, specifically for websites, emails or other digital platforms.
- Significant skills in web writing and knowledge of best practices.
- Ability to convey compelling, interesting stories in various storytelling formats.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and project management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines/fast turnaround times.
- Ability to work independently.
- Exceptional time-management skills. Highly organized and impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work with a variety of individual work styles.
- Mac platform experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Google Suite (Docs, Sheets), and Adobe Photoshop; InDesign knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization techniques and writing effective metadata.
- Knowledge of content management systems, including WordPress and/or Drupal.
- Demonstrated skills with email marketing platforms, including Mailchimp or Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Strong knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
General office environment. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard.