Internal Communications Manager, School of Law
In collaboration with the Executive Director and co-Deans for the School of Law, the Internal Communications Manager will support the School’s leadership in executing an annual communications plan that clearly conveys priorities for the law school and the university, celebrates achievements among members of the law school and keeps the community informed of significant developments across the law school. Through these activities, the manager will advance efforts to help engage and inspire stakeholders, an element essential to the School of Law’s ongoing progress.
- Work closely with the co-Deans and the Executive Director to update and implement a comprehensive annual communications plan that reflects school/college and university priorities and also identifies best approaches and vehicles to engage and inform internal stakeholders. Establish detailed calendars that track goals, formats and timing of communications for each time period. Consult regularly with executive director and co-deans regarding plan updates and outcomes. (15%)
- Conceptualize, research and provide writing support to the co-deans, including for speeches, talking points, emails PowerPoints, quotes, website updates, and publication messages. Communicate information of a highly complex nature in a clear, concise and compelling way. (20%)
- Advise and assist other school leaders in Identifying and executing opportunities to advance school and university priorities through effective communications that are delivered through vehicles appropriate to their content (e.g. letters, emails, website updates, etc.) (40%)
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and other UMC leaders to promote the school in university-wide communications, identify promising opportunities for external communications and marketing, and contribute to those opportunities through coordinating contacts, developing content, and related activities. (15%)
- Assist as needed with internal communications involving other academic units and/or UGEN offices. (10%)
Perform other duties as assigned. (<1%)
Department (School of Law): Frequent contact with co-Deans, Dean’s Office Staff, and faculty leaders; regular contact with faculty, staff and students. Occasional contact with alumni.
University: Frequent contact with Executive Director, regular contact with other UMC staff. Occasional contact with other schools’ faculty, staff and students.
External: Infrequent contact with peer organizations and networks.
Students: Occasional interaction with students.
No direct supervision.
Experience: 5 years of communications experience, preferably including time within higher education settings and with managing social media pages and content management systems.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline required.
- Ability to write quickly and well.
- Mastery of a variety of prose styles—including writing for the web.
- Understanding of the essential elements of persuasive, engaging writing, as well as the distinctions between speeches, articles, letters and other forms of communication.
- Ability to translate complex topics in ways that engage, inform and inspire.
- Understanding of the written and visual elements and structure of effective presentations - whether with visual aids (i.e. PowerPoint or other formats) or without –and ability to prepare such presentations quickly and well.
- Appreciation of the value of collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Recognition of the importance of constructive feedback in continuous improvement and consistent enhancement of communications from the provost.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and narrative skills.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Proficiency in MS Office products including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
General office environment.