Online Learning Associate - Teaching & Learning Support, eLearning - Gies College of Business (...
Online Learning Associate, Teaching & Learning Support
Gies College of Business
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
The Online Learning Associate, Teaching & Learning Support helps faculty teach interactive live online classes and is key to enabling outstanding online teaching and learner experiences. They review lesson plans and learning materials, use technology to facilitate live online classes by managing breakout rooms, polls, files, videos, chat, and coordinates a team of course assistants. As part of the Learning Experience team, this position contributes to data-gathering and pedagogical research to improve the quality of the learning experience to support growth of the online degree programs. They work in a high-pressure environment where their attention to detail, planning and professionalism are crucial to the success of our faculty and thousands of students in our flagship online programs.
“Live sessions” is the term we use at the Gies College of Business to refer to synchronous class meetings in our fully online programs. These live sessions are a key part of our online instruction, allowing for true 2-way synchronous video instruction and interaction between faculty, students, and staff. Live sessions are highly engaging class sessions for our online Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Strategic Management, Executive Education and select undergraduate courses. The live session support team consists of graduate student employees, hourlies, and full-time staff members. On average there are 30-35 live sessions per week, and we’ve conducted 4000 sessions over the past four years.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
About the Gies eLearning Team
The eLearning team is a talented group of teaching, instructional design, and media professionals who are passionate about delivering educational excellence through innovation. We are dedicated to furthering the Gies College of Business’s mission of democratizing education. We revolutionize the delivery of a high-quality business education by harnessing technology to break through financial and geographic barriers. Apply to join our team and break down barriers.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Live Session Teaching & Learning Support
- Facilitate and attend live online interactive classes (live sessions), webinars, and events
- During live sessions, manage and create breakout rooms, polls, files, videos, and chat
- During live sessions, be “on camera” when needed in front of hundreds of students
- Provide support to students, faculty and staff during live online class sessions
- Analyze and assess weekly lesson plans from a curriculum perspective
- Prep, perform quality control, and disseminate weekly course lesson plans and teaching materials, paying special attention to accessibility and universal design
- Update live sessions and related material in course website, event, and project management systems
- Coordinate team of course assistant and tech support student employees
- Gather key live session performance and student outcome metrics
- Monitor live sessions, flag issues, and provide reports at the completion of every live session
- Collaborate with faculty, eLearning Specialists, studio personnel, digital media professionals, and student employees
- Available to work weekday mornings, evening hours and Saturdays
Learning Experience Research
- Observe Live Sessions, following data-gathering protocols determined by the Learning Experience team
- Log technical and pedagogical issues that occur during Live Sessions
- Contribute to data analysis activities to consider means for continuous quality improvement
- Willingness to participate or collaborate with research initiatives
Live Session Training
- Train faculty and staff on how to use web-based conferencing technology to effectively conduct live online classes in both studio and remote environments.
- Serve on committees as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, with digital learning experience or course work.
Required: Excellent communication, presentation, and team skills. Excellent time-management, punctuality, and attention to detail. Familiarity with online web conferencing and collaboration software. Experience troubleshooting basic technical problems (internet connections, cameras, audio).
Preferred: Experience using new technologies for teaching and learning. Familiarity with the literature on teaching, learning, faculty development, and course development. Experience conducting and designing trainings, associated tutorials and support documentation. Experience working with adult learners, US and international students and faculty in online higher education contexts. Familiarity with business education. Experience working in instructional settings where accessibility is considered in all phases of the teaching and learning process.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by March 23, 2021. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Gies College of Business Category:6-Research Title:Online Learning Associate - Teaching & Learning Support, eLearning - Gies College of Business (143046) Open Date:03/02/2021 Close Date:03/23/2021 Organization Name:eLearning