CLINICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
CLINICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
Posting Number: SRGV4896
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Clinical Affairs
Scope of Job:
To perform routine clinical laboratory diagnostic assays. Responsible for performing accessioning of samples, diagnostic procedures, recording assay results, documentation of results, reporting of results, equipment maintenance, laboratory organization.
Description of Duties:
• Ensures all established safety standards, regulations and procedures are followed in accordance to state, university and department regulations. Ensures that all testing, accessioning, and reporting of clinical results is in accordance with Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) regulations and laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Adheres to all SOPs established for receipt, processing, testing, and reporting of clinical results as directed under CLIA.
• Has understanding and proper application of the CLIA regulations, particularly as they relate to testing and receipt of clinical samples, and execution of SOPs.
• Conducts daily, weekly, and monthly preventative maintenance of all lab equipment, and maintenance of the SOP checklist compliance files for all daily, weekly, and monthly lab tasks as per CLIA and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
• Maintains, monitors and documents the organization and cleanliness of the laboratory or assigned areas, as per SOPs.
• Assists faculty and students with facilities planning and laboratory equipment selection, installation and removal of laboratory equipment.
• Ensures that normal use reagents and supplies are prepared for use as directed by laboratory SOPs for CLIA and GLP.
• Prepares weekly reports for the senior lab technician on sample receipt, processing, reporting, and general execution and compliance duties as outlined by CLIA and GLP, and in accordance with laboratory SOPs.
• Labels and processes patient specimens accurately and distributes to appropriate areas of laboratory. Processes laboratory samples according to procedures. Centrifuges and prepares aliquots when needed. Maintains specimen requirements at all times according to protocol. Dispatches specimens to the main lab or other designated testing facility as per established procedure with fewer than two mislabeled specimens.
• Prints appropriate labels for specimen labeling. Ensures all tests on requisitions are accounted for in the ordering system. If necessary, contacts physician’s office to obtain order clarification/ verification prior to collecting specimens. Tracks every specimen to ensure specimen integrity, accounting particularly for those samples which must be transported to other locations with fewer than three occasions of errors involving maintaining specimen batches (opening, reconciling and closing).
• Ensures specimens are processed according to specimen requirements & that all specimen requirements are met. Ensures specimen requirements are maintained during transportation and storage as per protocol with fewer than two instances of processing, aliquoting and archiving errors. Uses LIS system to track sample receipt, testing, results, and reporting.
• Prioritizes and organizes activities to achieve optimal and efficient patient care during daily operations. Maintains positive patient identification for all specimens collected, using defined protocols. Maintains patient confidentiality throughout all activities and communications.
• Keeps area stocked with essential supplies. Keeps work area decontaminated with proper cleaning solutions and disposes of waste & trash in appropriate containers. Keeps work area well organized & free from clutter. Handles add-on requests according to established procedures.
• Monitors courier sample drop-off (if applicable) and ensures when samples arrive, that specimens and/or reports are removed. Participates in process improvement activities. Logs specimen in archives for efficient retrieval. Maintains awareness of turn around expectations and organizes work duties to ensure expectations are met.
• Adheres to Patient Safety Goals as defined by UTRGV SOM, CLIA, COLA, CAP, and other regulatory/accreditation agencies. Performs inventory of supplies as assigned.
• Provides training to other laboratory technicians as needed.
• Monitors pending lists, including but not limited to the unreceived specimen list.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Close supervision from senior lab technician (supervisor).
Supervises student clinical employees.
Associate degree in laboratory science or medical laboratory technology or combination of education and experience as outlined below.
Master’s in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or chemical, physical, or biological science.
Education AND training equivalent to an associate degree in laboratory science or medical laboratory technology:
• Education - 60 semester hours including either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses or 24 semester hours of science courses (6 hours of chemistry; 6 hours of biology, and 12 hours in chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology, or any combination.
• Training - either completion of an approved/accredited clinical laboratory training program, which may be included in the 60 semester hours specified above or at least three months of documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
Proficiency in the use of PCs and other standard office equipment. Experience with standard clinical laboratory equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Normal laboratory conditions. Occasionally requires working with hazardous chemicals, equipment and materials or in hazardous environments. May require some evening and/or weekend hours. Occasional travel is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
Professionalism, Tact, diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality of medical information required in all matters. Possible exposure to combustible materials. Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens. Must be able to work cooperatively with a team of other researchers.
Physical Capabilities: n/a
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 03/01/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27570
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency