Vice Chair for Education
To fulfill the responsibilities of Vice Chair of Education, as determined by Chair, OHSU Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
General Responsibilities: As VC, they will guide and lead the education mission for the department by
- Assisting the Chair in fostering an environment that values and promotes educational programs, serving as the chief departmental advocate for investment and improvement in these programs.
- Providing oversight, support, direction, coaching, development, and empowerment to a diverse cadre of leaders across our education programs:
- Supporting faculty leaders of education in department (clerkship director(s), program director(s), fellowship director(s)
- Providing mentorship for those in the department interested in medical education
- Providing teaching-related faculty and resident development
- Ensuring succession development and planning with education faculty and staff
- Promoting/engaging in educational research/scholarship
- Assisting education leaders with external communications/reports to institutional and national education organizations (OHSU GME, ACGME, CREOG, etc)
- Pursuing national leadership roles in CREOG, APGO, ACOG, ABOG, and ACGME and supporting departmental faculty to do the same
- Advising the Chair on educational priorities, funding needs, recruitment, and infrastructure support for these programs. Providing annual report of educational activities to the department. Overseeing development and management of department education budget. Maintaining and enhancing processes, technology, and systems for evaluating and reporting trainee and faculty performance. Developing educational program evaluation processes and metrics for the purposes of assessment, improvement, and planning. Ensuring that all educational programs meet or exceed all compliance standards and policies that govern them, including regulatory and accreditation requirements. Ensuring that our educational programs function consistently with our department values, especially in the area of diversity and inclusion. Promoting recruitment and retention of diverse trainees who will become the faculty and leadership of the future. Coordinating international education programs and training opportunities. Participating in and facilitating the recruitment of clinician educators; orienting new faculty members to roles and responsibilities in education and teaching; fostering a culture of faculty involvement in the Department’s educational programs; and providing support and mentoring to faculty who have a specific interest in medical education and/or who are career educators. Monitoring and evaluating the educational contributions of individual faculty members, ensuring fulfillment of the Department’s educational mandate; encouraging all faculty members to maintain an ongoing portfolio of educational contributions (e.g., teaching portfolio) for promotion and tenure purposes; and working with division chiefs and educational program leadership to recognize outstanding teaching performance. Overseeing faculty-development activities related to education, including training faculty members how to teach effectively, how to effectively evaluate trainees, and how to give appropriate and meaningful feedback. Promoting faculty awareness of institutional and national opportunities for the development of educational leadership and expertise. Convening regular meetings of the Department’s educational community through an educational leadership group to ensure the best possible planning, innovation, integration, and communication across programs. Working collaboratively with leaders across OHSU to identify best practices in medical training and opportunities for interprofessional education.