University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Position #781681 – Requisition #20335
The following list of duties and responsibilities serve only to illustrate the nature and scope of this position’s primary activities and functions. However, existing duties and responsibilities may be modified or removed, and/or additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned at any time as determined to be in the University’s best interests by the supervising authority.1) Patent Asset Protection 70%
The Patent Administrator will work with outside counsel to file patent applications and track deadlines throughout prosecution until issuance and maintain patents in force, as well as work with the licensing staff to relay patent prosecution instructions to counsel and assist new licensees with the patent process. Specific duties include:
• Engages attorneys for new patent filings, analyses, responses to Office Actions/Restriction Requirements, etc.
• Monitors prosecution deadlines and coordinates responses and actions.
• Reviews ownership and inventorship matters with case managers for each patent filing and instructs counsel in this regard.
• Enters prosecution information into the database and updates and clarifies patent records.
2) Financial Accountability 10%
• Obtains cost estimates from attorneys for projects during prosecution.
• Approves or denies requests from attorneys for increases in the not-to-exceed amount for projects, with the assistance of the Licensing Managers.
• Coordinates annual orientation function for new attorneys and communicates procedures to new counsel.
• Reviews and approves invoices from patent counsel and enters appropriate information into database
• Monitors annual patent expense budget and coordinates with finance team and licensing team regarding strategies to manage expenses
3) Support for Commercialization 5%
• Reviews pipeline license, option and inter-institutional agreements for correct patent information and prosecution/maintenance provisions.
• Corresponds with companies and other institutions on ownership issues and patent deadlines.
4) Compliance Activities 15%
• Waive and elect title to government funded patents and manage this process.
• Reviews drafted and filed patent applications for Bayh-Dole compliance.
• Monitors and responds to error notifications in federal reporting database
• Responds to reporting requirements set forth by grant agencies
• Reviews Final Invention Statements for approvalSalary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $65,000 to $75,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
• Undergraduate degree in Administration, Paralegal Studies, Business-related or Legal field (professional experience may be substituted on a year for year basis for the educational requirement)
• 2+ years professional intellectual property experience (e.g., paralegal or legal assistant)
• 3+ years professional experience using word processing, spreadsheets, database software, and email and internet in a business settingPreferred Qualifications
• Three years professional experience working in the technology transfer industry
• Experience in updating patent docketing databases
• Five years professional experience working with intellectual propertyCompetencies
• Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
• Outstanding customer service skills.
• Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 5, 2021
Unposting Date: May 10, 2021, 11:59:00 PM