University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Position # 739615– Requisition #20360
CU Innovations works with researchers and clinicians to commercialize new treatments, medical devices and technologies to improve the lives and outcomes of patients. CU Innovations works directly with researchers at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus to commercialize their innovations. It is our mission to commercialize technology through the route that will best ensure the technology will benefit patients. CU Innovations is currently accepting applications for Licensing Manager (LM), a full-time university staff (non-classified) position. The Licensing Manager is part of a team of licensing professionals, part of the broader CU Innovations team, and part of the CU Anschutz campus’ team bringing new technologies to patients. The Licensing Manager’s primary function is to evaluate, advance, partner and commercialize a portfolio of university intellectual property in the life sciences. Licensing Managers are expected to carry a significant caseload, perform their duties with some supervision, and collaborate with other members of the licensing staff. The Licensing Manager will work with the team to identify potential licensees and contacts within companies in order to partner and commercialize University assets. The Licensing Manager is expected to successfully execute deals in their portfolio. Portfolio commercialization includes understanding and assessing the intellectual assets developed in a faculty member's lab, encouraging disclosure of new ideas, inventions and other intellectual assets to CU Innovations, assessing new inventions for technical merit, patentability, and commercial feasibility, overseeing the filing and prosecution of patent applications where appropriate, identifying and communicating with potential licensees and marketing technologies to industry and negotiating, drafting and enforcing options, licenses, IIAs and other agreements. Importantly, the Licensing Manager must have the confidence and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with very senior, high-level faculty and executives in the business community.
The Licensing Manager also confers with campus administrative staff and investigators on intellectual property protection and licensing, and coordinates procedures to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, laws, university policies, and business contracts. The position requires the use of a variety of communications and computer database tools to track and convey issues and decisions about invention disclosures, patent applications, patent prosecution, patent issuance and maintenance, and all contractual agreements and financial arrangements related to a particular technology.Examples of Work Performed:
• Evaluate and analyze new invention disclosures, meet with inventor(s), assess patentability and marketability, and identify relevant industry contacts.
• Encourage the commercialization of innovation through multiple channels including industry collaborations, licensing or the formation of start-up companies.
• Develop commercialization strategies including product development and funding plans, identify critical path experiments, and source cross-functional teams.
• Develop licensing strategies, identify potential licensees, negotiate terms, draft agreements, and close deals.
• Manage patent-related activities, including the filing and prosecution of patent applications.
• Maintain and develop relationships with licensees and monitor progress of licensed product(s) development.
• Participate in educational programs aimed at the medical community relating to intellectual property issues, innovation and commercialization.This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $80,000 to $114,612. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
• A bachelor’s degree in life, health, or physical sciences, or in law or business with relevant knowledge of biological/life sciences.
• 3+ years of professional level direct life sciences technology transfer or business development experience at a research university, academic medical center, or in industry.
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate and close business deals.Preferred Qualifications:
• A graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in life, health, physical sciences, law or business.
• 5+ years professional experience including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of licenses as demonstrated by a deal sheet and a consistent portfolio of at least 150 cases.
• Pharmaceutical, medical device, and/or health IT commercialization experience including technology review, patent protection (as appropriate), FDA approval process, reimbursement, and negotiation.
• Knowledge of intellectual property protection methods, licensing practices, contract law, as well as government laws/regulations relating to technology transfer within industry and/or academia.Required Competencies:
• Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
• Ability to interact effectively in both academic and corporate cultures with scientists, research sponsors, industry representatives and patent attorneys.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment; to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
• Team player and builder; works well in group environments; shares knowledge, expertise; provides assistance and accepts additional responsibility when necessary.
• Commitment to values and strong business ethics.
• Ability to close deals.
• Outstanding customer service skills.
• Proven negotiation skills.
• Ability to grasp complex scientific concepts and effectively promote them.
• Technology and patent case management skills and prioritization abilities.
• Effective mentoring and collaboration skills.
• Ability to independently represent the Office at the most senior level with University faculty and leadership and Industry partners.
• Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
• Self-starter in establishing relationships both internally and externally.
• Excellent time management and prioritization skillsSupervision Received:
This position reports to the Director of Licensing
certifications.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 5, 2021
Unposting Date: May 10, 2021, 11:59:00 PM