Custodial Service Coordinator and Maintenance Technician
Job location: Other Locations
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-01
The University of Virginia's Blandy Experimental Farm has an opening for a full time Custodial Services Coordinator and Maintenance Technician. Blandy Experimental Farm is a 700-acre University of Virginia ecological field station located in the northern Shenandoah Valley, about 10 miles east of Winchester and 60 miles west of Washington, D.C. Its mission is to increase understanding of the natural environment through research and education. The State Arboretum of Virginia, located within Blandy Experimental Farm, is a public garden displaying more than 5500 trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants in a diversity of habitats including woodlands, meadows, wetlands, and open fields.
The Custodial Services Coordinator and Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintaining a clean safe, and attractive environment at Blandy Experimental Farm. The employee in this position is responsible for custodial services, including routine cleaning of the entire facility and oversight of the weekend custodial service contractor. The Custodial Services and Maintenance Technician is also responsible for routine building maintenance tasks and must work independently, with minimal supervision.
The employee in this position will:
- Perform custodial services at Blandy, including in offices, laboratories, meeting rooms, restrooms, kitchens, classrooms, and on the grounds.
- Oversee weekend custodial services contractor.
- Coordinate on-site trash and recycling program.
- Maintain inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and purchase supplies as needed.
- Perform minor maintenance work using hand and power tools.
- Perform minor repairs, such as painting walls and maintaining woodwork.
- Operate small hand and power tools, as well as possibly use larger equipment such as snow and leaf blowers.
- Conduct work in adherence with department policies. Wear appropriate clothing and protection, and complete work in compliance with health and safety standards, and federal, state and local regulations. Perform routine safety inspections to ensure facilities are hazard free.
- Setup tables, chairs, and tents for events and meetings in response to programmatic and seasonal needs
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
A successful candidate will have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least one year of experience. Previous experience in custodial services and building maintenance is preferred. The employee must be able to execute duties with minimal supervision and exercise independent judgement in problem solving. The employee must be able to interact with the faculty, staff, students, and the public in a positive manner. Basic computer skills and a valid driver’s license are required.
Employee will be required to crawl, kneel, squat, bend, and twist in order to perform their work. Employee must be able to work from a ladder. Employee will work with materials of different weights and perform repetitive motions. Employee must walk and drive around Blandy and be willing to work outdoors regardless of weather.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $31,200 - $35,000.
To apply, go to Workday https://hr.virginia.edu/careers-uva/job-openings and search for R0022347. Complete a staff application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Position will remain open until filled.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.