Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Office of Human Resources
is seeking a Director of Employee and Labor Relations
. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine. (Feb 2021).
This position will be responsible for developing, implementing, and administering labor-management relations for the University as well as overseeing investigations and documentation of employee complaints and/or disputes. Oversees the performance development program (PDP) and participates in labor contract negotiations, grievance meetings, arbitration, and interpretation of union contracts and University policies. Ensures that management receives and understands training on labor and employee relations policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will personally connect with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles, which closely mirror UMB’s core values: Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, Leadership, Communication, & Work/Life Balance. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Directs the assessment of operational employee and labor relations issues and concerns and the provision of responsive and effective advice and guidance to University managers.
- Provides oversight and direction for the administration of the performance development program (PDP) for staff members.
- Oversees provision of interpretation and application of laws, procedures, policies, precedents, and collective bargaining agreement provisions to University managers. Ensures appropriate communications and training is provided for employees and supervisors in the areas of campus policy, employee relations, labor relations, collective bargaining issues, etc.
- Directs the collective bargaining process with labor unions representing the University by reviewing and editing drafts of collective bargaining proposals. Develops and proposes strategies and recommendations for the negotiation of collective bargaining provisions. Participates in negotiation proceedings.
- Partners with University legal counsel on a regular basis to ensure campus compliance with applicable employment and EEO laws, State of Maryland and USM policies, and University policies.
- Directs the affirmative action programs (AAP’s) efficiency and productivity by overseeing the development, implementation, and coordination of related policies and procedures. Analyzes and summarizes detailed audit and statistical reports to develop recommendations concerning the status and effectiveness of affirmative action programs within the University and its compliance with government legislation and University goals.
- Assesses and recommends appropriate human resource policies and processes, to include Department, University, and University System policies and procedures.
- Ensures effective representation of the University at hearings and other administrative processes involved with employee and labor relations matters, unemployment, workers compensation and related matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred. Experience:
Seven (7) years of experience in human resources with at least four (4) experience in employee and/or labor relations, including mediation, policy development or interpretation, applicable personnel law, or other related business experience. Supervisory Experience:
Three (3) years of experience at a management/leadership level. Certification/Licensure:
SHRM-CP preferred. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Perform significant managerial functions within human resources. Possess employee and labor relations subject matter expertise. Achieve objectives through coordinated efforts by managing recruitment, engagement, performance, and development of employees.
Ability to develop, implement, and manage goals and objectives for the University. Participate in strategic planning. Determine and enforce processes, practices, and/or policies. Manage operations, workflow, projects, and/or systems that have strategic impact. Accountable for operational and/or financial resources. Accountable for legal and policy compliance.
Ability to oversee overall direction of Employee and Labor Relations for the University. Lead subordinate senior professionals. Oversee and execute strategic goals and objectives that align with overall School/University strategy. Ability to apply broad authority to make managerial decisions within area of responsibility, informing leadership of significant financial, personnel, and strategic decisions. Decisions and quality of execution have significant impact on other functional areas. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Human ResourcesJob Posting:
Apr 5, 2021Unposting Date: