Executive Director, Accountability & Regulatory Compliance
The Office of Accountability and Compliance has an opportunity for an Executive Director, Accountability & Regulatory Compliance. This position is responsible for oversight of the University institutional compliance and reporting. The Executive Director investigates regulated activities to assure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations or University policies. The selected candidate gathers facts relating to alleged violations and reports on findings, which may include interviews, collection of multiple documents and process review. This position oversees the university’s compliance resolution program and executes strategic goals and objectives that directly align with University strategy. Benefits Information UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Direct the Compliance Resolution Program providing guidance, leadership, and expertise in matters related to compliance with federal, state, and local regulatory requirements. Responsible for major policy development, strategic planning for accountability and compliance and assist in the budget oversight for unit.
- Engage and interact with departments and university colleagues to develop and implement long-range and short-term plans to deliver A&C solutions that support the university’s compliance with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to institutes of higher education.
- Direct A&C plans and contribute to overall goal of the University. Manage relationships between internal clients and subject matter experts, and external oversight agencies, consultants, sponsors, and other professionals in circumstances involving compliance. Collaborate and consult with senior leadership and University Counsel on matters pertaining to compliance.
- Accountable for the direction, leadership, and performance of all A&C services, programs, and other functions whether technical, investigative, financial, or human resources.
Oversee the continuing quality improvement of services pertaining to Title IX, reports of potential misconduct received through UMB’s hotline, and investigations and adjudication of compliance and misconduct concerns.
- Oversee A&C compliance activities. Develop internal and external compliance communication with all applicable statutes and policies.
- Advise leadership in cases of misconduct and makes recommendations to restrict or suspend institutional activities when appropriate. Provide advice and recommendations, which may serve as a basis for policy decisions in areas related to University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) compliance with regulatory requirements. Consults with investigators about associated issues and ethical concerns. Oversee the development and training of investigators and grievance process personnel.
Work closely with client groups to define critical success indicators. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Regulatory Affairs or a related field. Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred.
Experience: Ten (10) years spent progressively building a background in organizational regulatory compliance oversight, including research, Title IX, auditing and monitoring of compliance activities, and investigations, preferably in an academic setting, with at least five (5) years of experience at a management/leadership level.
Certification/Licensure: Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP) or similar certification preferred.
Other: May require 24-hour availability.Financial disclosure reporting required by State of Maryland Ethics Commission.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Expertise in effective compliance and ethics program with thorough knowledge in Chapter 8 of the United States Sentencing Guidelines regarding the Department of Justice Evaluation of Corporate Compliance Programs Guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of the provision of relevant regulations including: Higher Education Opportunity Act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Maryland Public Ethics Law, and other relevant requirements and guidelines related to the effective compliance program.
- Knowledge of best practices in Federal Wide Assurance and Human Subjects Research.
- Knowledge of best practices in Higher Education Compliance.
- Thorough knowledge of position requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Skill in consultation and change management.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: Research Compliance
Job Posting: Mar 2, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 9, 2021, 4:59:00 AM