Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business Operations
Administration and Finance - Denver
Job Title Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business Operations
Position #781921 – Requisition #20327This position posting is an internal CU-only search and only open to current CU employees * Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Denver Administration and Finance Department has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business Operations position.As Colorado’s public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research, creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver graduates gain the powerful combination of immersive classroom and real-world experience that are in demand today. The city benefits from well-educated, top talent and a new generation of knowledge that fuels the future of Denver and our region. We are CU in the City. CU Denver offers more than 100 degree programs, from the bachelor’s to the doctoral level, in the heart of downtown. Here, more than 15,000 students pursue academic programs that range from global energy management to music industry studies to criminal justice. As part of the state’s largest public university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with nearly 2,500 employees and annual economic impact of $800 million. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here. Position EmphasisThe Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business Operations for CU Denver reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor (EVC) for Administration and Strategy, CU Denver, is a member of the Denver Chancellor’s senior staff and sits on the Chancellor’s Cabinet. The individual serving in this position is the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of CU Denver. This position is accountable for the CU Denver activity of the consolidated functions of the Central Services and Administration (CSA) units which report directly to CU Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz). This position also serves as the campus representative to the Auraria Higher Education Center (AHEC) for financial, operations and administrative issues and is the primary representative for these functions with the CU system office. The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business Operations has responsibility for the following, which is not intended to be all-inclusive:
- Provide leadership and oversight of CU Denver’s financial health.
- Provides strategic and operational direction and leadership to the CU Denver activities of the CSA organization including financial services, facilities management, and emergency management and operational direction for information technology and human resources. In collaboration with CU Anschutz, ensures compliance with all pertinent federal, state and university laws, policies, rules and regulations.
- Coordinates annual and ad hoc work assignments with the System Office, Board of Regents, sister university campuses and external agencies and ensures accurate, complete and on time delivery of materials due to such entities. Collaborates with CU Anschutz on consolidated deliverables.
- Prepares briefings, reports, etc. as requested by the System President, CU Denver Chancellor, or EVC Administration and Strategy for the Board of Regents and other entities, and effectively articulates and advocates for the needs, positions and perspectives of CU Denver and consolidated functions.
- Provides expert advice and policy direction to the CU Denver Chancellor and EVC Administration and Strategy on all administrative and financial matters for CU Denver, their schools, colleges, central support and auxiliary work units.
- Partners closely with the CU Denver schools and colleges to create long-term financial sustainability of the university and to provide critical support services that enhance the capabilities of the schools and colleges to fulfilling their teaching, research/creative work, and service missions.
- Oversees, negotiates, coordinates and advises on fiscal and administrative matters pertaining to CU Denver and oversees the Denver Budget Office and the operational aspects of the Denver Office of Institutional Planning.
- Serves as University financial and administrative liaison with the Auraria Higher Education Center and maintains strong relationships with the Chief Business Officers of the institutions of higher education that share the Auraria Campus with CU Denver.
- Serves as CU Denver’s financial and administrative liaison with the CU system office and maintains strong relationships with the CFOs of the CU sister campuses.
- Serves as the Cabinet liaison to the CU Denver Budget Priorities Committee of the Faculty Assembly and works closely with all governance leaders including Faculty Assembly, Staff Council and the Student Government Association.
- Represents the CU Denver Chancellor and Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration and Strategy on assigned standing or special committees. Establishes and directs committees and task forces as appropriate.
- Until CU South Denver is sold and fully transferred to new ownership, oversees operations and personnel of CU South Denver.
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary.
The hiring range for this position has been established at $206,620 to $277,698. The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above hiring range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- The minimum qualifications for this position include an advanced degree in business administration, public administration, accounting, finance, or a closely related field.
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree and long-term executive-level finance and administration experience will also be considered.
- The position requires extensive diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level in Colorado higher education and the University of Colorado.
- Experience with strategy and policy development for a public urban research university is highly preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have in depth knowledge of the Colorado higher education landscape, the University of Colorado system, the Auraria campus, and consolidated university structure with the Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public sector and higher education budgeting, accounting, and financial management.
- Knowledge of the practices, principles, and regulations regarding facility and space management for a large public institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of insurance programs utilized by a public university (unemployment, worker’s compensation, general liability, etc.).
- Knowledge of higher education data, metrics, and key financial information and how to use this information to strengthen the financial health of the institution.
- Ability to manage major and complex projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to advance the University’s commitment to diversity and to foster a culture of inclusion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of persons.
- Ability to motivate direct reports and help them generate a climate of collaboration and high morale.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Mar 1, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 6, 2021, 12:59:00 AM