Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs- Gies Undergraduate Affairs (142853)
Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, Gies College of Business
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Primary Position Function/Summary
Responsible for providing leadership in the Gies Office of Undergraduate Affairs, supervising managers of areas that support Academic Affairs, and overseeing Gies Honors Programs. The position serves as a key advisor to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs and is an important voice in promoting the culture and values of Gies OUA.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Advising and Registration
- Collaborate with advising deans across campus on policy development and implementation
- Oversee academic petitions, appeals, and administrative processes, including late appeals, probation, dismissals, and re-entry to the College
- Conduct the Gies College meeting at new student registration; collaborate with campus partners for advisor training and new student registration needs
- Approve requests and manage access to the Undergraduate Records application (aka Portal) for Gies staff; ensure FERPA training is complete and updated annually
- Manage academic catalog approvals and revisions in partnership with the Office of the Registrar
- Collaborate with department schedulers and department directors of administration on course planning, course access and restrictions, registration, academic policy, and other related matters
- Lead Undergraduate Advising meetings with all Gies College of Business advisors, including the Department of Accountancy
- Manage the relationship with the Accountancy advising team; work with BS/MAS Program Director to coordinate advising efforts across offices
- Coordinate exchange student registration between Gies Study Abroad, the Office of the Registrar, and the Office of Undergraduate Affairs
- Oversee the coordination and performance of the BUS 101, 201, 301 and 401 cohort courses.
- Serve as primary contact for the academic integrity system (FAIR); review incoming allegations; support and assist Gies faculty, including the Academic Integrity standing committee; represent Gies at campus-level meetings
- Implement strategic priorities supporting departmental curricular changes, accreditation, and other academic affairs
- Conduct academic verifications for financial aid Department of Education reporting needs; collaborate with faculty to verify student attendance
- Serve as Gies liaison to the Office of the Registrar and Office of the Provost
- Oversee Deans Scroll application and selection processes
- Advise Gies Scholars students, and assist advising James Scholar and other Gies students.
- Develop and articulate the strategic direction for Gies Honors Programs
- Oversee development and implementation of James Scholar and Gies Scholar programming and community-building activities
- Collaborate with Faculty Director to design and implement Gies Scholar and James Scholar leadership curricula; instruct Gies Scholar and James Scholar courses as mutually agreed with the Faculty Director and the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Affairs
- Work closely with Gies Admissions team to recruit Gies Scholar program students; oversee Gies Scholar selection process
- Chaperone Gies Scholar and James Scholar study abroad trips; collaborate with Gies Study Abroad to manage trip planning and implementation
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to develop and produce Honors program recruitment materials, promotional items, and ongoing communications
- Work closely with Faculty Director and Gies Advancement team to foster strong Gies Scholar alumni relationships, through both on-campus engagement and alumni-focused events (both College-wide and Gies Scholars specifically)
- Directly supervise the leaders for Honors, Academic Affairs, Records, Business Minor, and Student Success.
- Manage hiring, training, and evaluation processes; direct work flow; indirectly oversee student worker and extra help staffing as needed.
- Work with Office of the Dean of Students, Title IX investigators, Office of Student Conflict Resolution, and other campus partners to support students in crisis
- Refer students to campus resources; document incidents in online reporting system
- Act as resource for College faculty and staff who encounter students in crisis; assist with referrals and support as needed
- Contact faculty at the direction of ODOS to request accommodations or provide withdrawal notifications
- Serve on Undergraduate Faculty Council
- Serve on OUA Leadership Team
- Represent Gies on campus-level committees, such as A&A Deans and OMSA Student Success
- Manage advising, records, and honors budgets, including student programming, student staffing, and training and professional development for staff
- Ensure implementation of curriculum changes in degree audit system (DARS) and compliance with academic requirements and policies; work with advising team to update communications and resources
- Oversee all records operations, including maintaining student records in applicable systems, degree audit system updates, study abroad and transfer course articulations, NCAA eligibility verification, degree lists and degree certification, Bronze Tablet recipients, FAIR system monitoring, etc.
Position Requirements & Qualifiatations
Required: Master’s degree required.
Required: Minimum of 5 years of experience in higher education administration with recent experience in leadership in a University setting. Strong interpersonal skills are required along with a capacity to lead others, a team-oriented attitude, professionalism, and a strong commitment to excellent student service.
Preferred: Strong preference for experience in interpreting and applying academic policies in an undergraduate setting.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by March 22, 2021 Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Gies College of Business Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs- Gies Undergraduate Affairs (142853) Open Date:03/01/2021 Close Date:03/22/2021 Organization Name:Gies Undergraduate Affairs