Utilities Distribution Maintenance Technician
Utilities Distribution Maintenance TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
$47,000 - $49,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Job Location:
Utilities & Engineering ServicesAbout the Department:
The 900+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University’s teaching, research/administrative space and 2,240 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that conform to codes and regulations, while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building, and equipment modifications to the University.Essential Job Duties:
- This position serves as a member of the Utilities Distribution (UD) shop team of maintenance mechanics. Utilities Distribution shop personnel perform skilled mechanical/plumbing work and general maintenance/repair of steam, condensate, storm water, chilled water, sanitary sewer, and domestic cold/hot water systems.
- The shop supports all systems on NCSU’s Main Campus, Centennial Campus, and CBC (Veterinary School) campus. Both installation of new services and repair/replacement of old services are conducted. Welding and limited electrical duties are also included for fabrication and utility repair.
- This work involves troubleshooting and repairing of equipment (fans, pumps and receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, etc.), trenching and excavation, and working in confined spaces.
- Hours are subject to change to meet the needs of the University.
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment to include safety glasses, safety shoes and ear plugs.
- Additional safety equipment to include respirator, welding leathers, welding shield, hardhat, and/or other gear related to the work site.
- This position has been designated as essential personnel for the University and may be required to report to work during adverse weather conditions even though the University may be operating on an alternate schedule. This position may assist with snow and ice removal under the direction of a supervisor.
- This position is subject to emergency call back.
- Other duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work. Some positions may require special licenses or certification(s).
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Other Required Qualifications:
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of steam, storm water systems, chilled water lines, sewer systems, domestic water and related equipment in an industrial setting. Also, knowledge of related/auxiliary equipment for these systems.
- This includes use of hand tools and diagnostic equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds frequently and up to 150 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- The ability to perform tasks associated with the assigned trade on a journey level.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- 5 years experience in the maintenance and operation of utility distribution systems, consisting of steam/condensate, chilled water, storm/sanitary sewer and potable water. Experience in a university or municipality setting highly desired.
- Heavy equipment experience with- excavator, back hoes and compaction equipment.
- Experience with steam pressure reducing valves, motors, pumps, air compressors, fans, and assist with maintaining a proper water treatment program.
- Able to repair and maintain plumbing related systems to include air, gas, water and waste disposal systems.
- Basic torch work to include welding, brazing, cutting, soldering, etc.
- CDL License preferred
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license is required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
03/01/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical TradesPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,138Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure FailureTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
443301 - Utilities & Engineering SvcesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.