Research Manager - AWI Director of Finance & Operations - Campus Only - 512526
Apply nowJob no: 512526
Work type: Regular Full-time (Benefits eligible)
Categories: Internal only, Director/Executive, Research/Scientific
Pay Grade/Pay Range: 60 Monthly (exempt): - Minimum - $ 54100.80 Midpoint - $ 78436.80
Department/Organization: 750501 - Alabama Water Institute (AWI)
Normal Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:45pm
Note to Applicants: This is a campus-only search. You must be a current UA employee working at The University of Alabama to be considered.
Job Summary: The Research Manager assists in the daily administration of a specific program or department within the Office of Research and Economic Development. The Research Manager may also serve as a scientific and/or research ambassador and will be responsible for developing new consulting and research opportunities.
Additional Department Summary: This position is responsible for assisting with the overall leadership and management of finance and operations for the Alabama Water Institute (AWI) with a focus on the Water sector of The University of Alabama.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Support the AWI Executive Director, faculty and staff of Centers and programs associated with AWI on activities with a broad range of stakeholders.
2. The individual appointed to position will assist Executive Director in the overall operational management of the AWI, serving as the final decision maker on all operational, day-to-day decisions for all faculty, and staff of Centers and programs associated with AWI.
3. Responsible for all decisions regarding the allocation of resources, procurement and management of IT services, purchasing, hiring, contracts and grants, personnel management and student services.
4. Responsible for making decisions in adherence to a general budgeting framework and external contract obligations for state appropriated budget and funds appropriated in grants and contracts.
5. Will be responsible for budgeting, accounting and reporting in order to maximize efficient use of funding, while ensuring compliance with rules and regulations.
6. The DFO also serves as the liaison for all AWI personnel with the appropriate University units for financial oversight, operations and administration management.
7. The DFO is also the primary administrative liaison between the center and external agencies, promotes and participates in proposal and program development to ensure fidelity to university, state and federal rules and regulations.
8. Advise the AWI Executive Director and research center / team leaders at AWI on various opportunities and needs related to water research in Alabama and beyond.
9. Successfully work on and complete in a timely manner other professional duties as assigned.
10. Develop reports and other financial documents as needed/required by AWI Executive Director and other stakeholders in the research and academic settings at UA.
Required Department Minimum Qualifications: Masters Degree in Business, Communications, Economics, Engineering, Finance, Management, Geography, Law, Planning, Public Policy, or a discipline relevant to water research at AWI and three (3) years of experience.
Skills and Knowledge: Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated evidence of successfully engaging with key stakeholders in public and private sectors and winning their support; demonstrated understanding of policy and decision making in public and private sectors; proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); operation of standard office equipment. A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience with evidence of increasing responsibilities.
Preferred Qualifications: Applicants with experience in research administration, budgeting and knowledge of UA policies and procedures are preferred.
Background Investigation Statement: Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and information obtained from social media and other internet sources. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags before a hiring decision is made.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment or volunteer status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, genetic or family medical history information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" Poster
Advertised: 01 Mar 2021 Central Standard Time
Applications close: 09 Mar 2021 Central Standard Time