Executive Director, Student Academic Services
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-02
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The College of Arts and Letters at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking an Executive Director, Student Academic Services, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities Include:
Provide leadership for Student Academic Services:
- Manage Student Academic Services and staff.
- Advocate for Student Academic Services.
- Meet regularly with Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies.
- Oversee undergraduate advising, degree applications and certification processes.
- Determine course equivalencies for transfer students and course degree applicability for financial aid.
- Advise in complex cases, student grievances, and assist with general advising during peak periods.
- Authorize petitions, grade changes, and re-instatements to College.
- Serve on University-wide committees and act as college representative at university functions.
- Facilitate university requests for data and reports.
- Liaison with university offices, College departments and ombudsman.
- Work closely with unit chairs and directors for all initiatives related to academic advising and its role in student success, retention, and progression.
- Collaborate with university student success partners in university advising services, admissions, orientation, and other college advising directors.
- Offer expertise and guidance for advising based on the literature, research, and NACADA best practices and actively participate in NACADA and other advising/higher education professional associations.
Assess the effectiveness of the existing organizational structure and revise as necessary:
- Identify and implement a clear organization model for advising rooted in advising as teaching and learning.
- Utilize a framework to establish an advising model based on the vision, mission, and goal statements for academic advising.
- Establish the educational role of academic advising in a diverse world as defined through NACADA’s Concept of Advising.
- Develop an effective assessment plan for advising.
- Establish a protocol for effective and consistent advising sessions.
- Explore required advising each term of attendance for all students in the college.
- Review and revise existing advising syllabus.
- Review and revise existing advisor / student ratios.
- Establish a definition, role, and professional development processes for advisors in the college.
- Lead freshman and transfer orientation sessions.
- Authorize course overloads, late registrations, and transient student requests.
- Serve as administrator for Starfish software program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Leadership skills that exemplify collaboration, communication, action, and advocacy.
Knowledge of the advising profession: literature, research, best practices.
Skilled in assessment of programs such as advising.
Ability to work across cultures, support diversity, manage multiple programs and initiatives at the same time and work with all levels of leadership, faculty, and staff.Salary:$75,000 - $80,000College or Department:College of Arts and LettersLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:NAApplication Deadline: 2021-04-18-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.
This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.