Admissions Counselor (Transfer)
ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR (TRANSFER)
Department: Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Reports To: Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Position Summary: Assertively and strategically recruit and counsel prospective undergraduate students, and their families, to North Park University through personal relationship management from the initial inquiry stage to matriculation. The admissions counselor will also proactively cultivate relationships with Transfer Directors at community colleges, youth leaders, and other influencers in order to generate leads for new students.
- In consultation with Director of Undergraduate Admissions and other admissions staff, develop and implement annual recruitment plan and goals to generate student applications through transfer fairs, table visits, and other activities.
- In consultation with Director of Undergraduate Admissions and other admission staff, develop and implement specialty recruitment projects.
- Plan personal travel in fulfillment of approved recruitment plan, including required number of community college visits in conjunction with transfer fairs and other events.
- Meet annual enrollment goals as assigned.
- Establish, build, and maintain relationships with prospective students and their families, providing them with accurate information through campus interviews, phone conversations, and email.
- Lead weekly information sessions and financial aid presentations, meeting individually with prospective students and their families by appointment.
- Participate in admissions open houses and other on-campus recruitment events.
- Conduct campus interviews of prospective students as necessary in order to help them fulfill requirements for admission review.
- Meet weekly phone contact expectations, including making and receiving calls while away from the office, day or night and weekends as needed.
- Enter comments/information in regards to contact with prospective student in the CRM in a timely fashion (normally immediately, or within 24 hours of contact, including when traveling).
- Ensure timely responses to student prospects.
- Prepare regular call, travel, and other reports as determined by supervisor.
- Strategically involve faculty and other NPU personnel in recruiting prospective students.
- Become conversant with all NPU programs, transferability of college credits, and knowledgeable about institutional financial aid policy and able to discuss with prospective students and their families.
- Develop relationships with community college Transfer Directors, youth leaders, and other influencers.
- Attend admission staff meetings and develop collegial relationships with other staff.
- Participate in staff training and development programs.
- Work “early” and “late” schedules as assigned by director (i.e., three days per week 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., two days per week 11:00 – 7:30 p.m., etc.).
- Work evenings and weekends for special events, including one Saturday information session every other month.
- Lead, participate in and contribute to work teams as assigned.
- Personal commitment to and ability to effectively articulate North Park University’s mission and philosophy of Christian higher education.
- Bachelor's degree required, master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years professional work experience, preferably in non-profit, higher education admissions and recruitment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and writing skills.
- Fluency in Spanish desirable.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Able to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Able to discuss financial aid and scholarships with prospective students and families.
- Able to travel as assigned, and to transport and set up recruiting displays and related materials.
- Comfortable traveling throughout country via airports and vehicles.
- Adaptable and flexible, able to prioritize and respond effectively to multiple demands.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases needed.
- Possess an aptitude for working with general office equipment: phone (voicemail), computers (e-mail, Internet), and copiers.
- Valid IL driver’s license and clean driving record.
Effective Date: February 2021
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.