Manager, Communications/Digital Content and Media Relations
UAHS CommunicationsDepartment Website Link:Location:
University of Arizona Health SciencesAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Manager, Communications/Digital Content and Media Relations in the Office of Communications is responsible for elevating the University of Arizona Health Sciences brand and strategic initiatives through the development of compelling written content. The position will produce engaging news releases and content marketing features for key external audiences, while capturing the Health Sciences brand in an authentic and consistent voice.Reporting to the Director, Communications/Digital Content and Media Relations, the Manager serves a key role in planning and developing content to support UArizona Health Sciences’ educational and research objectives. Content is dependent upon the unique nature of each project and may include news releases, feature stories, website content, fact sheets, infographics and more. The Manager coordinates as needed with Health Sciences’ five colleges and multiple centers in Tucson and Phoenix to inform strategies for potential new content and ensure consistency in messaging, tone and information.The Manager utilizes best practices for media relations, including pitching content and experts to journalists and assisting with media requests for interviews. The Manager conducts daily media monitoring to capture and analyze UArizona Health Sciences’ presence in print, online and broadcast media outlets.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Writes content marketing features that create a vibrant online presence for UArizona Health Sciences while promoting the institution’s strategic priorities.
- Collaborates with video, photography, creative and social media colleagues to expand the scope of written content by developing high-impact multimedia products including videos, animations, infographics, etc.
- Writes news releases and media advisories, and assists with distribution to media outlets. Pitches relevant content to reporters and journalists.
- Assists with media monitoring and metrics collection for the Brand Communications team.
- Assists with media relations by responding to media requests, scheduling interviews, assisting at events and acting as a UArizona Health Sciences’ point of contact for members of the media.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience or equivalent education and experience.
- Strong writing, editorial and proofing skills with a knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing competing priorities.
- Keen attention to detail and organizational skills required.
- Success in building relationships and partnering with stakeholders at all levels, including executive leadership, university faculty, internal colleagues and students.
- Ability to work discretely with confidential, sensitive information.
- A record of personal and professional integrity with a work style that promotes creativity, teamwork and strategic thinking.
- An unwavering commitment to making the University of Arizona Health Sciences a diverse and inclusive community.
*Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field.*Strong background in science writing or science communications.*Experience working in a professional news media outlet or public university, preferably an academic medical center.Competencies:*Works to influence others to accept job function's practices and accept new concepts, practices, and approaches.*Requires communication with executive leadership regarding matters of significant importance to the institution. May conduct briefings with senior leaders.*Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments. Work may be reviewed at a high level.*Might supervise 1-2 individuals who provide tactical / operational support.*Complete knowledge of all job functions and the broad industry best practices, techniques and standards.*Exhibits ability to transfer knowledge and application of complex principles, theories and concepts to peers.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Communication and MarketingBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
9Career Stream and Level:
Communications & MarketingType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Lisa [email protected] 520-621-7246Open Date:
2/24/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume, Cover Letter, and Three Additional DocumentsSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
In addition to a resume and cover letter, please include 3 writing samples.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.