Reporting and Service Analyst
Job no: 499228
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Research, Probationary, Full Time
The Reporting and Service Analyst supports a wide variety of customer service needs for the Institutional Research Office. The position provides data analysis and reports to campus constituents for institutional reporting, ad hoc studies, and informational requests on student admissions, enrollment, degrees, graduation and retention. This position serves as the primary contact for Institutional Research services. The incumbent coordinates incoming service requests, communicates data needs, and tracks the progress of the service requests. The position also supports the administration of the Institutional Research office on team logistics.
- Performs descriptive and inferential analyses on student data.
- Develops regular and Tableau reports on student admissions, enrollment, degrees, graduation, retention, curriculum and instruction.
- Supports enrollment management by contributing to admission/impaction process and enrollment projection analyses.
- Provides curriculum and instructional supports to faculty using real-time PeopleSoft data and Student Data Warehouse.
- Perform sanity check on work products produced by Institutional Research team members to evaluate data accuracy and quality.
- Serves as the primary contact for service requests.
- Coordinates incoming data requests through department email and phone line.
- Approves data requests, communicates data needs and service scope with clients.
- Establishes close partnership with colleges and departments to provide data services and solutions on student admissions, enrollment, degrees, graduation, retention, curriculum and instruction.
- Manages calendars, coordinates meetings for the team.
- Performs administrative tasks associated with human resources, personnel transactions, and payroll duties.
- Manages logistics, procurements and reimbursements for the office.
- Maintains the appearance of spaces, manages filing systems, and oversees office equipment for uninterrupted function
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Detailed knowledge of campus data sources and definitions, including ERS census extracts and PeopleSoft sources
- Ability to automate certain data tasks through the use of syntax and data logic (e.g., in SQL)
- Ability to apply general statistical techniques, such as tests of difference and association (e.g., t-tests, ANOVA, correlation, regression)
- General knowledge of SPSS, SAS, Stata and/or R to perform basic statistical analyses
- Ability to produce analyses, including tables and graphs, in Excel, Tableau, or other data tools as needed
- Ability to document and replicate data processes
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Ability to produce well-formatted, easy-to-read data reports and extracts
- Knowledge of FERPA and other relevant data privacy policies and practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to manage concurrent projects and activities with a high degree of quality and data accuracy
- Ability to reason logically and capacity for independent and creative thinking on research problems
- Ability to develop techniques for handling a large variety of detailed data and ability to analyze these data
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees, students, faculty, faculty applicants and the public.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and make recommendations
- Ability to learn and interpret data, policies, and procedures and apply that knowledge to departmental decision making
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and to adopt an effective course of action
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Master’s Degree in education, social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration, engineering or other related fields
- Three years of experience in data analytics or business intelligence.
- Experience in understanding, manipulating, and querying large data sets with complex file structure
- Experience explaining complex data and research issues to technical and non-technical audience
- Experience with SQL, Python, R, SAS, Stata, or SPSS
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,500/month - $5,200/month
Hiring Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 26, 2021 through March 16, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: February 26, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled