Laboratory Operations Manager - Aerospace Engineering (141142)
Laboratory Operations Manager
Department of Aerospace Engineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The primary function of this position is to manage composites manufacturing facilities used by faculty members and students in the Department of Aerospace Engineering assisting with the research and educational activities conducted in these laboratories.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and upgrade composite/additive laboratory equipment, including purchasing and maintaining inventory of supplies and consumables.
- Oversee the instructional activity in the Aerospace Structures and Materials Lab and in the Composite and Additive Manufacturing Laboratory by working closely with faculty instructors, supporting instructional coursework, and conducting laboratory instructions.
- Ensure that all equipment is clean and in working condition at all times.
- Communicate with equipment manufacturers to coordinate repairs and site visits when necessary.
- Train undergraduate and graduate students on composite/additive manufacturing equipment.
- Act as the lab safety officer including assure compliance with all applicable safety regulations and training certification for the laboratory meeting OSHA, and other requirements.
- Develop and/or contribute to proposals for future laboratory infrastructure, educational initiatives, and other related activities.
- Supervise hourly employees including hiring, training on processes, procedures, and safety, as well as, creating and enforcing work schedule and approving timesheets.
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of Aerospace Engineering.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or field related to the position.
Experience: Three years of professional experience in a materials research, testing, or processing laboratory in composites and/or additive manufacturing.
Education: Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Five years of experience working in a materials research, testing, or processing laboratory in composites and/or additive manufacturing.
- Experience supervising laboratory users and/or support staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following manufacturing methods: composites lay-up, hot-press, autoclave, (VA)RTM, Filament winding, metal or polymer Additive Manufacturing (AM), or other similar techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Laboratory Operations Manager position is a full-time, Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after April 21, 2021. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications must be received by April 21, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identifiation of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Christine Gipson ([email protected]) . For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:The Grainger College of Engineering Category:2-Administrative Title:Laboratory Operations Manager - Aerospace Engineering (141142) Open Date:02/26/2021 Close Date:04/21/2021 Organization Name:Aerospace Engineering