Research Scientist - Illinois Fire Service Institute (142969)
Illinois Fire Service Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. As the statutory fire academy for Illinois, the Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI) serves firefighters throughout Illinois and the world. World-class instructors deliver more than 14,000 class hours to students online, on campus and at regional training centers throughout the state. IFSI is operated as a continuing education and public service activity by the University of Illinois.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The Research Scientist will be responsible for providing scientific support for IFSI research and educational programs, specifically related to research and training for first responders and the fire service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement strategic capacity building research projects in biomedical fields involving first responders and fire service populations
- Work with University of Illinois faculty and staff as well as external research partners to develop and maintain interdisciplinary research initiatives
- Facilitate the establishment of relationships with corporations, foundations, and government agencies to serve as the foundation to pursue new interdisciplinary funding opportunities led by IFSI
- Collaborate with project leads to develop programs, objectives and long-range plans that are supportive of the IFSI mission
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed and trade journals as well as translational project reports specific to Fire Service audiences
- Establish and maintain current best practices for program management in development, initiation, planning, execution, controlling, and closing of projects
- Present research findings at national academic and fire service conferences
- Provide instructional support in relevant IFSI courses, as needed
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Physics, Health-related, or similar field.
- Experience in human subjects testing, particularly with military or paramilitary populations such as police, fire, and EMS strongly preferred.
- Experience in the design of experiments, experimental protocol, data acquisition, and analysis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organizational abilities.
- Proven record of research.
- Must work accurately with details.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good problem-solving and decision-making ability.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a regular academic professional position at IFSI and is an annually renewable, 12/12, 100%-time appointment with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and start date will be as soon as possible after the close date of the search. Applicants must possess required education and experience by start date of position. Interviews may occur before the closing date; however, all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration. For further information regarding our application procedures, please email [email protected].
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your transcripts, cover letter and CV/resume by the close date 03/22/2021. Contact information for three references must be included on the application. For full consideration, candidates must complete the Hiretouch application process by the above date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Fire Service Institute Category:6-Research Title:Research Scientist - Illinois Fire Service Institute (142969) Open Date:02/26/2021 Close Date:03/22/2021 Organization Name:Fire Service Institute