MARKETING RESEARCH SPECIALIST, DUKE OFFICE OF CONTINUING STUDIES AND SUMMER SESSION
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Background/Organizational Description In keeping with the mission of DCS&SS to provide credit and noncredit programming for local, national, and international audiences, the office requires a high level of marketing and related communications to promote organizational initiatives and foster programmatic growth. The Marketing Research Specialist provides overall administrative management and coordination of all marketing and communications activities with DCS&SS in accordance with Duke University policies and procedures. This staff member reports to the Business Manager and consults with all directors within DCS&SS on a regular basis to develop, implement, and administer effective marketing initiatives and communication plans. Staff management responsibilities may be required in accordance with DCS&SS operational growth. MARKETING ACTIVITIES
- Develop, implement, and manage comprehensive and diversified marketing activities to a wide variety of audiences to elevate the profile of all DCS&SS programs.
- Advise the directors of all DCS&SS programs on marketing engagement activities in concert with targeted organizational growth and in alignment with University priorities.
- Serve as a liaison with University departments and external partners to promote coordinated marketing campaigns to foster programmatic development.
- Identify and establish relationships with internal and external partners to promote new DCS&SS programs; develop and implement marketing strategies to enhance traditional or existing programs.
- Conduct demographic and other marketing studies to identify trends to maximize effectiveness of marketing efforts; research targeted markets and evaluate marketing strategies to identify potential consumers of products and/or services; provide Business Manager with monthly reports of marketing effectiveness.
- Leverage LMS, CRM, and marketing platforms to cultivate ongoing engagement with a community of learners.
- Oversee selection and continued authorization of all marketing vendors and contracts.
- Create and manage contact databases for all DCS&SS marketing activities in accordance with best marketing practices and University policies.
- Oversee marketing budgets and provide the Business Manager with recommendations to align marketing resources with organizational goals.
- Recommend appropriate policies regarding pricing, promotion, product and market evaluations and marketing plans in concert with DCS&SS directors. Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Administer all DCS&SS communications efforts to existing and prospective students, customers, and partners in collaboration with directors.Write, edit, and oversee all communications on social as well as traditional media platforms.Manage all communications on DCS&SS websites by writing copy, editing, and updating content on a regular basis.Consult with directors to promote strategic and consistent communications plans; identify needs, objectives and design approaches; develop schedules and budgets as required for each plan. Oversee selection and continued authorization of all communications vendors and contracts.Provide recommendations to promote DCS&SS brand identity to internal and external constituents.Serve as communications liaison with other University departments and external partners.
- Provide supplemental administrative and customer service assistance to all DCS&SS programs.
- Assist with the marketing, communications, and related outreach for all office-wide initiatives.
- Ensure that all communications and marketing activities are coordinated to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Represent DCS&SS in meetings and conferences and other affairs of an administrative nature.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described above.
HIRING PREFERENCES-- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.-- Experience with marketing and communications in both for-profit and higher educational settings.-- Excellent oral and written communication skills.-- Excellent data entry and proofreading skills.-- Willingness to be responsive to colleagues and contribute to a cooperative and positive work environment.Minimum Qualifications
Work requires communications and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires two years related experience in advertising, marketing, media, promotions, graphic arts or public relations. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.