Job Title: Staff Instructor
Location: Savannah State Recruiting Loc
Job ID: 224533
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college or university in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
TRIO Upward Bound Program, Funded by Department of EducationUpward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, as well as and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants’ complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.Location
Our campus is located at 3219 College Streer, Savannah, GA 31404Job Summary
The Staff Instructor, (Academic Year/Summer Program) under the supervision of the Director and Assistant Director, will facilitate and teach academic courses one of the following disciplines: English, Math (includes Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus), Science (all areas), Test Preparation, Reading, Spanish, French, Art, Photography, Chorus, Food Science, Dance, Drama, Counseling and Computer Technology. Courses are designed to provide participants with the rigorous academic skills, study habits, and discipline necessary for success at the post-secondary level. During the academic year, instructors will provide direct supervision, leadership and direct academic assistance through virtual and Savannah-Chatham target schools (when accessible) mediums for participants during Upward Bound’s after-school tutoring program and summer program. Position is part time without fringe benefits.Responsibilities
- Prepares lesson plans
- Provide instruction and academic enrichment in discipline
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom.
- Provides engaging, ongoing opportunities for Upward Bound student participants to experience success through academic activities.
- Builds strong, positive relationships with Upward Bound participants.
- Pre and post testing/evaluations Provides time and group management while offering homework and tutoring assistance.
- Assists with program activities and administering final exams.
- Handles disruptive behavior with respect, following guidelines, processes and procedures, and reports any issues to Upward Bound Supervisor, and/or TRIO Director.
- Classroom management of students is an integral part of these responsibilities.
- This position requires a minimum of Bachelor’s Degree required in secondary education (subject area) or related subject area
- Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills
- Teaching Certificate and/or Community College or four-year college teaching experience
- Experience working with economically challenged/first generation college bound students; Experiences in TRIO preferred
- Candidate must be available to attend training and orientation and must observe and enforce all of the program policies, rules and regulations
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah Stare University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected]Other Information
This is a continous job posting to fill temporary needs throughout the academic year and summer.