HR EMPLOYMENT/CAREERSInitial Closing Date: 4/9/21*, but open until filled.
*For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date. Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Ethnic Studies, Foothill College.FOOTHILL - DE ANZA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT MISSION STATEMENT:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.Foothill College Mission Statement:
Believing a well-educated population is essential to sustaining and enhancing a democratic society, Foothill College offers programs and services that empower students to achieve their goals as members of the workforce, as future students, and as global citizens. We work to obtain equity in achievement of student outcomes for all California student populations, and are guided by our core values of honesty, integrity, trust, openness, transparency, forgiveness, and sustainability. Foothill College offers associate degrees and certificates in multiple disciplines, and a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Foothill College is seeking a dynamic, motivated, and collegial full-time Ethnic Studies instructor with a strong commitment to the mission of California's community colleges. The successful candidate will teach a broad range of courses within the discipline, including the core survey, introduction to Ethnic Studies course, as well as courses in the specialized fields of Ethnic Studies, such as African American Studies; Latinx Studies; Native American Studies; and Asian American Studies. The successful candidate will develop curricula in Ethnic Studies and provide leading Ethnic Studies discipline expertise in the development of an Ethnic Studies Program, collaborating with faculty colleagues from across the disciplines. Teaching assignments may include on-campus and online.
Standard duties expected of all full-time faculty include development, assessment, and revision of curricula and textbooks; program review; Student Learning Outcomes assessment; maintaining scheduled office hours; attending department/division meetings; pursuing professional growth activities; service on district and/or college committees; and working with other departments and community partners to improve student success. We seek faculty members who are themselves the life-long learners and independent thinkers we wish our students to become. We are looking for educators who are creative and responsible in their use of time and resources, who possess a clear vision for creating a democratic learning environment, and who can translate that vision into practice.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's in the ethnic studies field OR A master's in American Studies/Ethnicity, Latino Studies, La Raza Studies, Central American Studies, Latin American Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, Race and Ethnic Relations, Asian-American Studies, or African-American Studies OR the equivalent (see below requirements to establish equivalency) OR see Interdisciplinary Studies.
We encourage individuals to apply for the position even if they do not meet all the qualifications below.
- Experience teaching Ethnic Studies courses through application of critical race theory and theories of intersectionality, through interdisciplinary lenses.
- Significant graduate course work and/or research/community work in comparative Ethnic Studies and fields of specialization: African American Studies; Latinx Studies; Asian American Studies; and Native American/Indigenous Studies.
- Knowledge and application of the major epistemological considerations informing the discipline of Ethnic Studies, including relevant history and contexts of the field, contributing theories, and pedagogical approaches.
- Commitment to supporting the success of underrepresented, disproportionately impacted students through mentoring, community work, club advising, and/or support of learning communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, social justice, and multicultural education.
- Knowledge of the California community college system and the populations it serves.
- Experience teaching, assistant teaching, or tutoring at the post-secondary and/or community college.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with colleagues across disciplines, to design, revise, and implement new and existing curriculum and to advance the development of Ethnic Studies at the college.
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Knowledge of and/or experience with and/or interest in: online pedagogy and instructional technology/learning management systems in asynchronous online/hybrid settings.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all relevant work experience, research, and formal education and training, including relevant graduate coursework.
- The following supplemental material: A 1-2 page statement of what you believe to be the major epistemological considerations in the field of Ethnic Studies and how you apply those considerations to the teaching and learning of Ethnic Studies.
- Please be sure your application includes all of the above materials before you submit it. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the hiring committee for review.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you must
submit the Request for Equivalency form and supporting documentation. This form must be submitted with your application packet.
You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdfIf any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.htmlHIRING RANGE:
Annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience. For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to: http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/2019-2020%20Faculty%20Salary%20Schedules.pdf
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.htmlTERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per yearSTARTING DATE:
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Email: [email protected]http://hr.fhda.edu/
To apply, visit https://fhda.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/278?c=fhda
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency