Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-25
The Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) seek applicants for a Business Manager to join its team, reporting to the Senior Director of Finance. The Business Manager performs and/or manages a variety of administrative activities, with responsibility for delivering high-quality professional level work with expertise across a composite of administrative service areas, including budget, finance, procurement, human resources, communications, grants and research administration, space and facilities, event planning and/or high-level operational support. The position provides meticulous, timely, skillful, reliable, and outstanding administrative support in a professional and comprehensive manner primarily for UVA Research Compliance, including Institutional Review Boards (IRBs), Committees, and Research Compliance staff critical to maintaining UVA’s accreditation for achieving the UVA research vision. The position works closely and partners with both internal and external stakeholders, including UVA units, Schools, Medical Center administrators, UPG and external property managers to manage and lead a range of functions and support. The Business Manager is a resourceful problem-solver who provides innovative solutions and continuously assesses and improves upon policies and procedures to ensure that all areas operate at an optimal level in compliance with applicable federal and state laws, and University policies and procedures. In addition, the position works on special projects, as assigned, both within and beyond Research Compliance in VPR, including broader VPR finance and other administrative activities to implement various VPR initiatives.
- Perform monthly account reconciliations, including maintain financial and non-financial records following applicable UVA policies and procedures.
- Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of purchase orders and payment vouchers. Pay bills promptly in compliance with the University’s prompt pay requirements, including resolve any discrepancies with vendors, as needed.
- Process employee/non-employee reimbursements and monthly T&E card submissions in both expense owner and approver roles. Serve as University ExpenseUVA Ambassador to deliver information, guidance, and training on the University-wide expense management system.
- Administer the professional development funds allocation process for UVA and non-UVA IRB and Committee members, including educating members and their fiscal staff re. the process and criteria governing the administration of such funds.
- Administer compensation support to IRB and Committee members, including functioning in a highly collaborative manner with School and non-School UVA contacts to ensure that compensation support, as well as supporting documentation and records, are kept accurate and current.
- Manage budgets, including monitor inflows/outflows of funds, compile reports, perform analysis, process transactions, resolve issues that may arise and provide recommendations.
- Manage industry-sponsored clinical trials protocol review fee recoveries, ensuring a transparent billing process, and continuously enhancing and working through a complex process to recover such fees which offset UVA Research Compliance costs.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with management, staff, boards, officials, vendors, research team members (PIs, study coordinators, research administrators, business managers, department contacts) and other stakeholders with maturity and tact so that activities and events are well-planned, well-coordinated, and well-managed in compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Serve as the administrative liaison for managing on- and off- Grounds property matters, taking charge to well-plan as well as address and resolve unexpected matters as they arise, to ensure a safe, effective, and efficient working environment in both leased and On-Grounds spaces.
- Process human resources actions, as assigned, in Workday. Serve as a resource on human resources policies and procedures.
- May manage and coordinate the Alternative Payments Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reporting process for research protocols approved to make alternative payments to clinical trial participants.
- May serve as a subject matter expert responsible for gathering facts, analyzing findings, reaching logical conclusions, recommending solutions, and coordinating confidential or highly sensitive projects.
- May serve in a supervisory capacity.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a proficient finance and operations administrator with a passion to support achieving the UVA research vision. The Business Manager is expected to possess many of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to finance, business, accounting, systems or equivalent. Additional 3-5 years of demonstrated relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years of relevant exempt level experience in finance and budget is required.4-5 years of experience in performing high-level administrative and financial work is highly preferred.
- Strong attention-to-detail, analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience using business intelligence and reporting tools, such as UBI.
- Demonstrated experience with relevant Integrated System (Oracle) responsibilities preferred.
- Sound technical skills, including extensive MS Excel and MS Word skills.
- Excellent interpersonal as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment within a complex organization.
- Innovative style with ability to adapt and excel during times of significant change and transformation.
Anticipated Hiring Range: Approximately $60K - $84K, commensurate with candidate's experience and qualifications, with UVA benefits.
Review of applications will begin early March, and will continue until the position is filled.
Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘'Business Manager". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching 'Find Jobs'.
This position will be expected to work in-office once the University permits our return to Grounds.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.