Software Developer (Wage)
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-02-24
The University of Virginia, School of Data Science seeks a part-time, full stack Software Developer to assist in the development of a conversational agent that will be used as a feedback tool in training teachers. This conversational agent will represent a student that is able to improve or regress in understanding of a given topic based on the input of the user. There is a proposed architecture and models developed that need to be integrated into a web app that can be accessed via user login. Currently this is being demonstrated via Django and implemented in Python Anywhere.
- Software documentation
- Comment Code according to best practices
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Identify and plan for efficiencies in implementing models in system to minimize wait time and processing time (e.g. caching large models)
- Implement conversational agent logic and models appropriately (Models will be pre-developed and suggested logic will be clearly defined)
- Develop code to create a conversational agent interface where users can dialogue (Models and conversational architecture will be provided)
- Features of the interface include and are not limited to: user login system, ability to select a conversational agent profile pre-session influencing the logic paths of the conversational agent, interactive buttons, interactive image where numbers can be typed and referred to in the interface, speech to text and text to speech integration, post session survey, post-session report, an ability to enable a group chat feature with another participant in the same session, and capturing desired variables in a readable format that is retained within the system and can be accessed by administrators
- Django (Advanced)
- Python (Advanced)
- Web Interface Design (Intermediate)
- Integrate Tensorflow/Pytorch models for text classification
- Enable efficient model caching for models served from Huggingface transformers/Tensorflow Hub
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline
- At least one year of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
Position Compensation Range: $31.98 - $60.00 Hourly
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029”.
To apply, please submit an application online through Workday at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a current CV/Resume. Search on requisition number: R0022128.
Questions related to the application process may be directed to Brandi Shifflett, HR Specialist at (434) 243-4095 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA)
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline
Experience: At least one year of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.