Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-24
The University of Virginia seeks a Project Archivist who will have the responsibility for processing a significant new addition to Small Special Collections’ holdings in the history of the United States.
Reporting to the Archival Processing and Discovery Supervisor, this position works closely with the archival processing staff and Curators to ensure that this collection is fully processed. This position will be responsible for creating a detailed finding aid while applying a reparative mindset to this important collection. They will also complete the rehousing and reboxing of materials while also identifying materials in need of preservation. They will contribute to the workflow of digitizing materials from this collection in collaboration with the curators and the Library’s Digital Production Group.
In addition, this position will assist reference and instruction staff to create new and enhance existing LibGuides as well as additional documentation to guide use of the collection in future classes, exhibits, and other intellectual applications. This position will also participate in outreach activities such as social media posts, exhibit planning, and other events related to this collection.
This position is ideal for archivists new to the profession. We welcome those applying that have gained related experience primarily through internships and student positions. May 2021 graduates are encouraged to apply.
Small Special Collections staff are dedicated to the reparative work needed to fully represent and amplify marginalized voices in our collections. Applicants should include a paragraph that describes their dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the profession and how they will apply that dedication to this position. For more information about this important work being done at UVA Library, please visit our webpage here: https://www.library.virginia.edu/about-uva-library/diversity/diversity-plan/
Anticipated Starting Salary: $60,000
*** This is a 18 month term limited position, continuation will be dependent on availability of funding and satisfactory performance **
- ALA- accredited MLIS/MIS in library and information science or other advanced degree. A bachelor’s degree with at least four years of relevant experience will be considered.
- Previous experience processing archival materials using DACS, EAD, and ArchivesSpace.
- Familiarity with digitization and digital preservation.
- Commitment to a reparative framework in archival enterprise.
- Demonstrated strong collaborative and communication skills, both oral and in writing.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
- Experience with archival processing in an academic setting, including experience with current national content standards and the creation of discovery tools, such as finding aids.
- Knowledge of copyright, privacy, confidentiality, and ownership as they impact work in archival collections.
Applications received by March 15th, 2021 will receive priority consideration. This position will remain open until filled.
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0022327".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for “R0022327”
Complete an application online and attach:
· Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position and highlighting knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences that support excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion (Inclusive Excellence) https://eocr.virginia.edu/Contribution-IE-Applicants
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.