Research Data Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-24
The Institute for Business in Society at the Darden School of Business seeks a motivated research professional to join its team for a two year assignment.
The Institute for Business in Society (IBiS) at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business develops and inspires leaders who aim to positively impact society through business. Our Institute’s primary activities include: conducting research; generating thought leadership; convening events among thought leaders in multiple sectors; and developing courses and teaching materials related to business and society issues.
The Research Data Specialist collaborates with faculty to create and execute multidisciplinary research plans in Business and Society. The Research Data Specialist generates thought leadership and other content on Business and Society issues, and assists in the development of data resources, data cleaning, database creation and management and the creation of data extracts. The Research Data Specialist conducts literature reviews, and provides data analytical support for empirical studies that will aid faculty in producing publishable academic work.
From their position within IBiS, the Research Data Specialist will work across the centers and institutes that make up the Darden Office of Research Support to assist in developing relational databases and data archives, along with tools to manage, query, and add data resources to the databases.
The Research Professional will be part of a team of research professionals in the Institute for Business in Society. In collaboration with IBiS research staff, the Research Data Specialist will develop research deliverables with specific faculty, and support the publication, translation, and dissemination of key findings to stakeholders including business practitioners and policy makers.
Position responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to execute against research support decisions.
- Under faculty and staff direction, develop research outputs including literature reviews, original data sets, statistical analysis, etc.
- Design and build databases to store scholarly research-related data relationally
- Create extracts from database; clean and preprocess datasets for analysis, either by faculty or students, or by the candidate themselves
- Translate scholarly work for different audiences; produce a steady stream of thought leadership pieces rooted in scholarly publications, but targeted for practitioners, policy makers, and general audiences
- Coordinate with the Office of Research Support and across centers and institutes to identify data resources for faculty research needs
- Contribute ideas and written content to the fundraising case for Darden's business in society activities, with research products that make a clear case to alumni and donor prospects for additional support for faculty, research, and the development of ideas at Darden.
Professional experience and education:
- Bachelor's degree required. Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in a social science, business, statistics, or data science field preferred.
- Proficiency with a statistical programming language such as R or Python on real-world data sets; strong understanding relational database management.
- At least four years of experience with research and writing; customer service or client-oriented work, especially in database management and research, including proficiency in SQL; proficiency programming in Stata and other statistical software.
**This position has a term limit of two years.**
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for R0022235. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0022235. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.