Skilled Trades Worker/Building Maintenance
This position is responsible for performing skilled work in the maintenance of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, mechanical, and building systems.
- Overhauls and services refrigeration, air conditioning and heating units by repairing, replacing or adjusting worn or broken parts on condenser, compressor, and water and vacuum pumps.
- Installs, repairs, and services electrical appliances, devices, and equipment; installs conduits, wires, pull boxes, switchboards, and switches required in making additions, extensions, or alterations in electrical systems.
- Manufactures a wide variety of metal and plastic components through the operation of lathes, shapers, milling machines, drill presses and similar equipment; gauges work carefully by using precision tools; fabricates mechanical devices and units.
- Repairs and inserts valves and ball cocks; packs faucets; repairs waste sewage and drainage pipes; replaces broken fixtures; caulks and packs joints.
- Repairs and maintains doors, floors, windows, partitions, ceilings and exteriors of buildings; builds and installs door and window framing.
- Acts as a lead worker over other maintenance technicians and helpers; assigns duties and instructs group work; insures continuing performance among the work group; serves in a technical support role for the work group providing instruction in complex or unfamiliar tasks.
- Installs, repairs and services heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration appliances and equipment by troubleshooting, replacing necessary parts, and adjusting the operation of those devices for optimal performance and energy savings.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of facilities maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of best practices and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical system installation, repair and maintenance principles.
- Knowledge of carpentry repair and construction principles.
- Skill in the safe and efficient operation of a variety of hand and power tools.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.