University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Laboratory Assistant to join Department of Microbiology and Immunology. The laboratory assistant will be responsible for maintaining cell lines, helping to perform in vitro assays with viruses and analysis of RNA and protein. Will aid in viral replication experiments and sample preparation for sequencing and transcript omics.
liquid, powder, and crystalline chemicals following established formulas and procedures.
2. Logs specimens; labels tubes, bottles, and other containers and fills with specified solutions or materials as instructed.
3. Raises, tends, or harvests non-mammalian specimens as instructed.
4. Sets up specimens, materials, and equipment.
5. Operates and performs general housekeeping on laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysis instrumentation.
6. Cleans and sterilizes glassware; stocks shelves and drawers; separates and prepares laboratory materials for recycling.
7. Maintains chemicals and equipment inventory.Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Six months laboratory work experience.
OTHER: Cell culture, RNA and DNA extractions, PCR, qPCR, virus infections
Working knowledge of laboratory operations, safety, and basic laboratory equipment. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to measure and mix laboratory chemicals; to operate laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysis instrumentation; to lift, transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).Salary Range: $30,114 - $33,000If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at [email protected] Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Non-Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Microbiology
Job Posting: Feb 25, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 3, 2021, 11:59:00 PM