Laboratory Research Technician #2
University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Laboratory Research Technician to join Department of Microbiology & Immunology. The Laboratory Research Technician will be responsible for analysis of transcriptome, proteome and virus sequence data generated against viral pathogens including SARS-CoV-2. They will engage with the laboratory to help in design and implementation of the experiments, they may aid in performing library preparations for sequencing as well as working in the BSL3 for expereiments as part of their role. They will primarily be responsible for analysis of bioinformatic data that focuses on host reponse to infection.
2. Prepares chemical solutions, media, reagents, stains, and buffers.
3. Assists in conducting routine assays such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) and complement
4. Assists with sterile procedures.
5. Performs clinical processes such as cell or tissue cultures.
6. Collects, prepares, and processes specimens.
7. Develops and prints film detailing biochemical or other analyses.
8. Assists in conducting research on current scientific literature using computerized applications.
9. Collects, records, and enters research data.
10. Performs wipe tests, general housekeeping of laboratory, and operation of laboratory equipment such as
centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, spectrometers, and gas and liquid chromatographs.
11. Maintains chemicals and equipment inventory.Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in a biological or chemical science.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Mouse handling, dissection and drug dosing. BSL3 experience a plus.
General knowledge of the principles and practices of natural and/or chemical sciences; of the safe and proper handling
and disposal of applicable specimens, materials and equipment. Ability to perform laboratory procedures using
applicable equipment and techniques; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to use computers and
related software applications; to lift, transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods; to wear
and work in personal protective equipment. Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).Salary Range: $41,000 - $45,000If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at [email protected] Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Non-Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Microbiology
Job Posting: Feb 25, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 3, 2021, 10:59:00 PM