Clinical Research Nurse
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Center for Vaccine Development and Global Health (CVD) brings together more than four decades of innovative and life-saving research on vaccines and infectious diseases. http://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/cvd/. As an organized research center within the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), CVD comprises a multi-disciplinary team of faculty and staff whose primary mission is to develop, evaluate, and implement vaccines and other interventions to reduce illness and mortality domestically and in less developed countries. We work to prevent and treat enteric and respiratory diseases, to reduce the threat of malaria and antimicrobial resistance, and to identify, understand and combat other tropic and emerging pathogens burdening low resource settings. Training is a critical component of our work to ensure the foundation for the next generation of scientists and researchers committed to our mission. The CVD is seeking a Clinical Research Nurse to join our team. Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator and Clinical Research Manager, the Clinical Research Nurse carries out key elements of a clinical research project. The project may include adult or pediatric populations. Responsible for timely completion of deliverables to meet the needs of the project, study sponsor, principal investigator and department administration. May be required to work weekends and/or evening/night shifts during inpatient studies. Benefits Information: UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
- Adheres to recruitment strategy, project timeline and work plan to accomplish project or program deliverables. Consults with study coordinator, principal investigator, and clinical research manager to clarify assignments and apprises them of project issues.
- Administers and implements treatment procedures or vaccines, monitors and studies their effects, and conducts subject medical evaluations.
- Develops and tracks work flow policies, recruitment strategy, and progress through the duration of the research study.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators and regulatory staff in the preparation of new protocol submissions, and protocols.
- Serves as a patient advocate throughout the research study or clinical trial. Develops and conducts patient and family education.
- Manages patient care in compliance with the research study or clinical trial protocol requirements. Monitors subject condition while ensuring safety and maintaining confidentiality. Identifies patient problems and makes adjustments to care plans.
- Manages interaction with subject participants including eligibility screening, recruitment, enrollment, ensuring informed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtaining patient medical history.
- Monitors activities to ensure compliance with protocols and all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory and institutional policies. Continuously educates and trains personnel on compliance and protocol. Identifies protocol problems, informs investigator, and assists in problem resolution efforts.
- Manages complex research study or clinical trial data. Develops methods for collection, database storage, tracking, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Develops and prepares study or research related documentation such as protocol worksheets, procedural manuals, adverse event reports, case report forms, and institutional review board documents. Responsible for developing and producing custom and routine reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or another discipline appropriate to position. Experience: Three (3) years of registered nurse experience with at least one (1) year in clinical research specialization. License/Certification: Current Maryland license in good standing issued by the Maryland Board of Nursing to practice as a registered nurse or a multistate licensure privilege to practice as a registered nurse in Maryland or appropriate federal district licensure where research is conducted. Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, DOT Infectious and Biological Material Shipping, etc. May consider a combination of directly related experience and education.
Preferred Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Able to work cooperatively in a team environment. Demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful and courteous behavior when interacting with others.
- Skilled in ethically communicating project risks and benefits.
- Skilled in managing multiple priorities.
- Skilled in phlebotomy tasks.
- Team player who is able to work with investigators and the research team.
- Must be a good communicator, both orally and in written word.
- Willing to have flexible hours dependent on research project requirements.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Institute for Global Health
Job Posting: Feb 24, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing