Executive Director of the Center for Online Learning
Hudson County Community College
Posting Date: February 25, 2021
Executive Director of the Center for Online Learning
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking.
Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, HCCC serves more than 18,000 credit and non-credit students annually. The College offers more than 60 degree and certificate programs, including award-winning English as a Second Language, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Fine and Performing Arts. The HCCC Culinary/Hospitality Management program was ranked number six in the U.S. by Best Choice Schools. Over 94% of HCCC Nursing program graduates passed the NCLEX first time out, placing the program’s graduates in the top tier of two- and four-year nursing programs nationwide. In 2017, the Equality of Opportunity Project ranked HCCC in the top 5% of 2,200 U.S. higher education institutions for social mobility. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding efforts towards continuous improvement in ensuring student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education.
The College has been recognized with numerous national and state awards for excellence in student success programming, diversity and equity, educational innovativeness, facilities design, and communications from the Association of Community College Trustees, American Association of Community Colleges, Association of College and Research Libraries, National College Learning Association, National Council of Teachers of English, College Advertising Awards, New Jersey Business & Industry Association, and others.
Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
Under the supervision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Executive Director of the Center for Online Learning provides vision, leadership, and operational management of HCCC’s online programs, including credit and non-credit, and in-service offerings. The Executive Director develops and implements a strategic plan for growth of fully online programs, remote, hybrid, and enhanced learning experiences across all college divisions. Position responsibilities include budget preparation and monitoring, staff management, course review, new program development, and assessment.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provide vision and strategic leadership in developing and implementing online programs across all divisions of the College.
- Advise the Vice President for Academic Affairs on the mission, vision, goals, and objectives for online educational offerings. Develop and, with the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, implement a strategic plan for online education.
- Deploy resources allocated for online learning so as to maximize student success and ROI.
- Assess the effectiveness of online learning and make recommendations based on those assessments. Provide quality control for online offerings.
- Be proficient with the Learning Management System adopted by the College. Manage instructional designers, LMS administrators, and other personnel so as to optimize student success.
- Coordinate the integration of the Information Technology department’s various computer applications into online learning; develop online programs in various instructional modalities.
- Collaborate with Information Technology Services (ITS) to ensure learning management system (LMS) availability and integrity.
- Recommend an online instruction framework, online instruction policies and procedures.
- Serve on state-wide affinity group and collaborate with other colleges and agencies to develop and maintain agreements that support and enhance HCCC online courses, programs, and student access.
- Hire, evaluate, supervise and mentor assigned staff.
- Assist and support faculty members in developing web-based courses.
- Maintain awareness of best practices, emerging technologies and new potentials in educational technology that may be adopted as new and emerging instructional technology.
- Provide faculty training and professional development that supports best practices in instructional design, development, and delivery, and promotes instructional innovation in the use of learning technologies that enhance teaching in online, remote, and hybrid instruction.
- Chair or participate in relevant institutional committees and task forces concerned with online learning.
- Maintain external contracts for software, consortia leases/agreements and online learning applications.
- Collaborate with the Grants Office to identify external funding sources to support online education at the College.
- Work collaboratively with Divisional Deans to plan course development and redevelopment; course offerings each semester; faculty performance standards for online courses and hiring of online faculty.
- Work collaboratively with non-credit units to offer and supervise non-credit course offerings.
- Attend conferences and forums related to job description.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Master’s degree in Education and/or Educational Technology, web/instructional design, or closely related academic discipline.
- Minimum of three years’ experience with academic technology, instructional design and online instruction; working knowledge of HTML, web editing applications, CMS systems, WebCT, CANVAS and other learning management systems (LMS). Familiarity with emerging technologies required, including MOOCS.
- Three to five years of experience teaching in higher education, including online course instruction, preferred.
- Three years’ experience supervising staff and faculty, preferred.
- Experience analyzing data to improve online enrollment, student outcomes, and the design and delivery of online instruction and programming.
- Experience with marketing online degrees, preferred.
- Skills for interacting with, engaging and supporting culturally diverse populations.
- Responsible budget development and management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including written, verbal, presentation and listening skills.
For additional information and employment opportunities at HCCC, please visit:
HCCC IS AN EEO/AA EMPLOYER