Instructional Content Editor- Gies eLearning (142852)
Instructional Content Editor, Gies College of Business
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
The eLearning Office at the Gies College of Business is seeking a Content Editor with a focus on editing, revision & quality control of web and digital course materials. Our mission is to provide high quality, accessible materials that follow universal design practices that adhere to a unified instructional brand. Gies content supports faculty, staff, and students through online degree programs, training, services and resources that enhance and facilitate instructional innovation.
About the Gies eLearning Team
The eLearning team is a talented group of teaching, instructional design, and media professionals who are passionate about delivering educational excellence through innovation. We are dedicated to furthering the Gies College of Business’s mission of democratizing education. We revolutionize the delivery of a high-quality business education by harnessing technology to break through financial and geographic barriers. Apply to join our team and break down barriers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Content Editing & Quality Assurance
- Define, adopt and maintain a style guide specific to Gies instructional content. This style guide determines both usage mechanics as well as consistent tone in the message
- Copyediting of course documents, scripts, transcripts and eBooks originally written or spoken by faculty and other instructional content creators
- Reviewing and remediating course materials, videos, slides, and instructional websites.
- Thoroughly testing learner facing content in conjunction with the Gies Learner Experience Team
- Developing instructions to help learners complete assignments and other activities
- Being available at night and over the weekend for occasional urgent projects
Training & Collaboration
- Assisting with the design and development of tutorials and documentation of online learning processes
- Providing workshop and training on our design standards
- Communicating with faculty, staff, and students via email, phone, conference calls or in person
- Managing a group of student workers
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirement & Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, English, or
Required: At least 2 years of experience in editing, copy editing, or quality control
- Higher education work experience
- Experience creating/adapting on-screen written content for large scale events, TV or web broadcast
- Strong collaboration experience with graphic designers for digital publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Mastery of spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors and ability to make constructive feedback and suggestions
- Proficiency with applying the principles of style guides to course materials
- Ability to remain detail-oriented and focused when processing large amounts of text
- Willingness to collaborate with instructional designers, videographers, graphic designers, and other instructional content creators.
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office, and HTML.
- Basic knowledge of legal issues for publishing like plagiarism, copyright, and ADA
- Knowledge of digital media production
- Creating/adapting on-screen written content for large scale events, TV or web broadcast
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by March 17, 2021. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Gies College of Business Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Instructional Content Editor- Gies eLearning (142852) Open Date:02/24/2021 Close Date:03/17/2021 Organization Name:eLearning