Academic Advisor in Communication
PG190779EPInternal Recruitment :
Academic Advisor in CommunicationAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with experience and education.Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Department of CommunicationAbout the Department:
The Department of Communication serves approximately 700 undergraduate majors with three concentrations in Communication Media; Interpersonal, Organizational and Rhetorical Communication; and Public Relations. We also serve nearly 100 graduate students in our Master of Science and interdisciplinary doctoral program in Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media (in collaboration with the Department of English). We are part of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and located in the Research Triangle Area, in Raleigh, North Carolina.Essential Job Duties:
- The Department of Communication at North Carolina State University invites applications for an undergraduate academic advising position. This position is a full-time, 12-month appointment. The successful candidate will provide academic advice to undergraduate Communication majors and will facilitate coherence, stability, and consistency to the academic program.
- Advise students about completion of communication major curriculum requirements
- Help students define academic goals and gain an understanding of how to achieve them
- Understand and communicate to students the implications of the various program plans and degree progress
- Help students develop their academic focus within the major
- Assist in planning of program events, including spring and fall commencement ceremonies
- Keep abreast of relevant course offerings across the College and campus and maintain connections with student service staff across campus
- Understand, interpret, and enforce University, College, and Departmental policies while exploring academic and professional options
- Help students make transitions and access the full range of university resources.
- Additional duties as assiged.
- Post-baccalaureate credentials preferred. A bachelor’s degree plus equivalent professional training and experience may be considered.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including strong communication skills; demonstrated skills in the areas of judgment, decision-making, problem solving, organization, and attention to detail; ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment; knowledge of University, College and Departmental policies, procedures, and requirements; and understanding of communication as an academic discipline.
- Proficient in social media, excel, word, power point, instructional software (Moodle, Blackboard, Zoom, etc.)
- Demonstrated interest and foundation in Communication (e.g., multiple undergraduate courses, major, or minor in the discipline).
- An understanding of university structure and administration, including the relationship between student affairs units and academic units.
- Experience working with academic programs, preferably in college student affairs, counseling or a related field.
- Professional advising experience in a university setting or experience as a graduate assistant in an academic advising role.
- A record of success in working with undergraduates.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/03/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
160701 - CommunicationAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.