Instruction and Research Librarian
William & Mary Libraries is seeking a creative and collaborative Instruction and Research Librarian. The librarian will cultivate partnerships that help the Libraries understand and respond to student and faculty informational needs.
A critical aspect of this position requires that the librarian be a strong presence in the campus community, building and maintaining close relationships with faculty and students in order to meet their teaching, learning, research, and publication needs. The Instruction and Research Librarian will engage students in the learning process by providing instruction sessions, workshops, and online guides and tutorials. They will provide individual research assistance, including consultations, and participate in collection development.
As part of the nine member Research team, the librarian will teach and provide research assistance to students from all disciplines, as well as serving as an expert about library research and scholarly communication issues relevant to the sciences. While a successful candidate is not expected to have this expertise at the time of appointment, they should be willing to develop it over time with the libraries’ support.
The librarian will work in a team environment in the W&M Libraries and must have willingness and interest in continual learning and development through work-related experiences, training, and professional development. The responsibilities will evolve as the library environment changes.
The Instruction and Research Librarian:
- Participates in an active information literacy instruction program
- Provides research assistance to faculty, staff, students, and community members
- Serves as a liaison to academic disciplines, including the sciences
- Participates in university service and professional development activities
We are committed to enhancing and promoting diversity and inclusion, and we welcome applications from individuals who have life experiences similar to those of underrepresented populations of the University.
- ALA accredited master’s degree in library and information science (conferred prior to appointment)
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrates a willingness to develop expertise in science librarianship with proper training and support
- Demonstrates a desire to teach, and a willingness to build knowledge of information literacy theory and practice
- Demonstrates knowledge of science databases
- Demonstrates knowledge of information literacy theory and practice
- Experience in an academic library