At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Full Time Instructional Technologist/Designer in the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). This position provides ongoing support on a variety of instructional technologies, including the learning management system, Blackboard. The successful applicant will help faculty explore tools and technologies that can support student learning and engagement in both traditional and online (tech-supported) settings. The Instructional Technologist/Designer will facilitate cohort-base professional learning workshops and other trainings as related to student engagement, pedagogy, course design, and instructional technology.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in instructional technology, educational technology, education, curriculum and instruction, or a related degree.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in classroom and online teaching (college level is preferred)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of instructional technology in higher education.
- Knowledge of pedagogy and student engagement in a variety of modalities
- Knowledge of learning management systems (preferably Blackboard)
- Knowledge of Google for Education
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand current knowledge about pedagogy and high engagement learning, and then apply this knowledge to the use of technology in teaching and learning in higher education.
- Assist faculty in designing or redesigning courses in all modalities. Work collaboratively with faculty to integrate student engagement and instructional technology techniques into the design, development, and implementation of instruction.
- Conduct workshops and other trainings on a variety of pedagogy and instructional technology-related topics.
- Collect and disseminate information pertaining to best practices in pedagogy, student engagement, curriculum development, and technology-infused innovations. Evaluate relevant and emerging technologies in teaching and learning.
- Work in collaboration with the Blackboard Administrator and the CTL team to train faculty to use the Learning Management System (Blackboard). Help provide Blackboard technical support for faculty and student users.
- Provide technical support for all online instructional initiatives to improve learning outcomes, student engagement, and facilitate a technology-rich teaching and learning environment.
- Assist in the design, development, and production of learning materials using digital media (audio, video, and web) and the application of student-centered instructional design principles.
- Maintain current knowledge of emerging instructional technology developments.
- Build relationships and faculty confidence in workshops and instructional consultations through an ability to offer guidance and resources to assist faculty with a variety of pedagogical and technological skill levels.
- Demonstrate empathy and patience with faculty at all technology skill levels.
- Support Amarillo College’s mission, values, Culture of Caring, and Strategic Plan.
Work Environment: This job is located in Amarillo, Texas and operates in an office, online, or tech-supported setting. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/video recorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy and fax machines, and filing cabinets.
Travel: Some travel may be required for this position.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting