Software Engineer-BIB Lab
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Colubri Laboratory at the University of Massachusetts Medical School is seeking to hire a Software Engineer to build tools to help us better understand and stop infectious disease outbreaks. Under the direction of the PI or designee, the person in this role will develop scalable software solutions for infectious disease modeling, clinical machine learning, and visualization of biomedical datasets. The candidate for this position will have the opportunity to join in a nimble research group and work closely with other members of the Colubri Lab on the design and development of a portfolio of software applications integrating research, education, and community outreach. The role will be responsible for working directly with users to guide software development, and will design, create, and maintain scalable, well-tested software as well as associated databases. The Software Engineer may also participate in the evaluation and research of 3rd-party software and conduct feasibility studies to determine appropriate engineering solutions. They will be expected to perform duties in a manner consistent with a complex, diverse, and dynamic environment and serve a complex research, medical, and education community.
For more information about the Colubri lab please visit: http://co-labo.org/ and https://t.co/1M2fR5iPj0Responsibilities
- Propose, design, and develop visualization tools and analysis pipelines.
- Build application back-end systems using cloud services.
- Ensure adequate test coverage of application code including unit and integration tests
- Package and distribute software tools for use outside of the lab.
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications.
- Write and document effective and intuitive web APIs.
- Follow best practices for information security and data protection.
- Work with computational scientists and UI/UX designers to improve software.
- Assist with development of algorithms for epidemiological modeling, machine learning, and data visualization.
- Identify and learn emerging technologies through formal training or independent self-study
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Software Engineering, or a related field or program (including ABET-accredited) with comparable coursework or experience.
- 2+ years of prior experience relevant to the responsibilities of this position.
- Experience with object-oriented/scripting languages for full-stack development: UI, application layer, and data management.
- Experience building and consuming web services and APIs for mobile and desktop applications.
- Experience with relational database management systems.
- Experience with software development best practices including versioning, unit testing, continuous integration, and issue tracking.
- Familiarity with biology, bioinformatics, and machine learning pipelines.
- A history of, or interest in, contributions to open-source projects.
- Expertise with Amazon Web Services (including Lambda, EC2, and S3), and Google Cloud Platform (Firebase in particular).
- Experience with parallel or distributed computing using Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Compute Engine, and batch schedulers.
- Familiarity with non-relational databases such as the document-oriented MongoDB or CouchDB, and key-value stores such as redis.
- Familiarity with containers (ex. Docker) and cloud deployment technologies.
- Knowledge of HIPAA-compliant databases and methods for electronic querying health records.